Thread: .358 winchester

Default .358 winchester

Anyone have a load using Hornady 200 GRN bullets and either H380 powder or IMR 4895 powder?
    I have found IMR 4895 with 49 grains.
    Thanks
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Check out Hodgdon's online reloading data. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp They have alot of data that is very helpful. They show a IMR 4895 load but nothing for H380.
    My Speer manual does not list a 200 grain bullet, they do show a H380 load for a 220 grain 46 min 50 max, but it is way down in the listed velocities and a compressed charge so H380 might be to slow to be of much use with such a light bullet.

A great round. H380 is a great powder, too. I've had some great accuracy in various cartridges, but lately it's been difficult to find load data for anything with 380.

I use H322, H4895, and TAC for the 200gr interlock. I see where IMR4895 AA2495 and WIN748 work well for others.

I have a bolt action but have not loaded over listed max loads that are mild for use all action types.

For this year I am loading up 50ct of 200gr Spire Points with a max load of H322 which I have already worked up to with no pressure signs. I will not crimp all but say ten just to see if there is an accuracy differance. I have a LEE FC crimp die so I can crimp latter if needed. I will do the same with the 225gr Partition with either H4895 or TAC. I have some max loads loaded just waiting for cooler weather to see which seem more accurate.

Barrel length is what I would use to select powders for the 358win. With short barrels of 22" or less and 200gr bullets a powder burn rate like H322 works while longer barrels of 24" and bullets of 225gr or more a burn rate like IMR 4895 to AA2495.

I load for three 358's, more with the Hornady 200 grain spire than the RN. The most consistent powder for all three with 200 grain bullets is Win 748. It just shoots better than most from all three guns. The Hornady manual would be a good buy for you. It lists 11 powders for their 200 grain RN and Spire, as well as multiple loads for their 180 and 250 grain pills.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a stuck case. ARRRRGH!!!

In the die or in the chamber?

Default Screw-Up

It's stuck in the die, thought I lubed it enough, but obviously not. Any ideas?

RCBS makes a "stuck case remover." It's not all that expensive and every loading bench needs one. Pretty simple to use, and effective.