Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Stealers?

Default Shrimp Stealers?

Not trying to start a firestorm here. Or maybe I am

With as many reports of people and thier pots getting pulled or stolen...I am amazed that I have never heard of one reported of anyone getting caught, or anyone even seeing someone pull somebody elses line.

In my house - i have two kids - and they are real quick to blame this one guy named "idontknow".

It apprears that if I look out in PWS @ night - I will find "Idontknow" pulling pots left and right....hmmm

When i find that "idontknow" that kid I'll let all you know where you can pickup yer pots.

The older i get the more i realize that its so much easier to blame someone else that admit that we were wrong, or we lost something, or we error'd.

I'm just bitter with this sunshine and cold - dang George and his global warming!

Thumbs down People do get caught

In the first place people do get caught. The Trooper Press Releases do, have reports once in a while.

Secondly, PWS is so vast that it is nearly impossible for the Fish and Game officers to police the entire area.

Thirdly, when I pull my pots and they are all tangled up, empty, and someone has left a footprint in the middle of the trap crushing it, doors open, I figure that someone stole the shrimp. If it looks like a duck, flys like a duck and quacks like a duck then close enough, it is a duck. Shoot it.

Fourth, not enough people report it. I call my local enforcement officer and provide him with all the information that I can. If enough people can pin down a time frame, say hypotheticaly, between Friday evening and Sat. noon, then the officers can target a time period. If we do not call and let them know there is a problem, then they can not act.

Fifth, I have been shrimping for five years now. I make three to four sets a week. I know how to do a set, what depth and in what area to set my pots. My partner has been shrimping for 21 years. My first year, yes I had some problems. It is called a learning curve.

Shrimp stealers are out there. Shrimp stealing goes up every holiday weekend. It goes up during silver season too. It is a fact.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Pot Theives

Well - we caught and chased off twice last year two separate boats that tried poaching from our pots last year. It was too far and too dark to see vessel names or registrations. I also had another friend that had all his pots taken 3/4 miles out of Whittier so it is a problem and appears to be only increasing. My solution, I am going deeper and much farther out and hopefully the riff-raff will stay closer in. Sad that this is happening, but I guess as more people come into the area, more chance that low lifes will follow......

Cool

yea, i've had mine taken too a couple of times. one thing i've noticed when cruising around in the sound is that a lot of folks drop thier gear real close to the cruising lanes. i have almost ran over a few because of the sunlight in my eyes or being distracted for whatever. good luck to everyone.

Default Potpuller

Did you follow them into port?

If you saw 'em then you certainly could have reported them.

Did you? If so - what was the outcome? Cuz thieves are thieves

People do get caught. but more times then not they get away. If I'm right they stiffed the law on stealing from the pots.
    I don't go far from my pots when I put them out. I could see then with my biono's.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default slower boat

Nope - I had a slower boat and they both headed out away from Whittier. I did call and report both incidents and then took the appropriate action - bought a bigger and faster boat in the fall and am thinking about welding torpedo tubes on both the port and starboard sides. Deep water can hide a multitude of evidence ........

Default Heres a little trick!

A guy we bought a boat from had this problem of finding his pots messed with and he came up with this little idea, he said it has worked.

step 1: Find as much dog poop as you can.
    step 2: Fill carrs plastic bag with said poop.
    step 3: Tie it to your main line about 50ft down.

Can you emagine what that bag does when it hits the schive above you head? He did say to REMEMBER THE BAG WHEN "YOU" PULL YOUR POTS!

I don't know how much truth there is in this, just what he told us. Does paint a halarious picture in my mind.

I'd be tempted to put a dummy hand grenade in my shrimp pot with a nice tag attached noting the next one would be a live one.

Default Stolen Gear

I reported mine to the troopers last summer when they disappeared. The trooper made the comment that the bouys are also being used for target practice on occasion...his thoughts not mine. I could certianly see this happening though.
    Why not put out a set and then have a stakeout on them (troopers that is). I would love to do this myself but don't think the law would understand why I put a .338 round through the hull just below waterline when I caught the boat in action.
    How about a signal flare headed thier way if you catch them stealing.This would give them a warning they are about to be shot at, plus any other boat in the area would take a good look and wonder why a flare is being launched at said boat...to be answered on the radio that they are stealing. The flare aso lights up the night to get a positive ID on a boat after dark.
    I imagine if you could see the boat messing w/your gear then why not put out a call on the radio and alert everyone to assist you in getting the make, #'s, etc...
    I still like the .338 round just below the waterline myself.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by potpuller View Post
    Nope - I had a slower boat and they both headed out away from Whittier. I did call and report both incidents and then took the appropriate action - bought a bigger and faster boat in the fall and am thinking about welding torpedo tubes on both the port and starboard sides. Deep water can hide a multitude of evidence ........

Lmao
    why didn't I think of this
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I remember one year in the 80ís a boat was shooting our buoy bags . It was a good thing we rigged them up from both ends with a trailer.

Default Torpedo Tubes

Love it! Great idea. Pretty Funny

All I was saying was - I hear about the problem - just dont see it. My guess is, a fair amount of people losing pots are losing them for bunch of different reasons other than theft. Thats all.

I've pulled empty pots before - it happens - Octo's are pretty amazing little creatures.

I've never lost a set, nor had any thiefs, nor have the 2 other people I cruise with. So i'm not denying it happens. I was just sayin for the sake of the argument ya know. Thats all

Cars are getting stolen all the time. Houses are getting broken into all the time. You hear about it, but when's the last time you saw it? Same thing.

I would say the reality of it all is there are theives and there are accidents. Whether or not your got taken or had a bad set you probably won't usually know. It would be interesting to know how many were mistakes and how many were thefts but that just isn't possible.

Right now I am more concerned about excess rope dragging under a rock, getting stuck and the tide coming in, I've been robbed I tell ya! I recently bought some leaded rope and took it back. Going to set up with floating rope towards the bottom with a chunk of chain part ways up to keep the rest under.

Default Pulls

In all the pulls I have made (five years) and that includes two years of pulling a buddies too, we have only lost one pot. Yea it was really hung up and took quite a bit of pulling. Usually I circle around in a slow circle to jerk them free if hung up. Really steep drop-offs can be problematic with pulls but can produce pretty good results. A look at the shore line can usually help you in determining bottom structure. It also helps to cris-cross the area with the depth finder to get a good read of the bottom structure. Too many people go in a staright line and call it, "the bottom". PWs has to be the rockyest, most rugged, nasty place to drop a pot there is.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I would say the reality of it all is there are theives and there are accidents. Whether or not your got taken or had a bad set you probably won't usually know. It would be interesting to know how many were mistakes and how many were thefts but that just isn't possible.

Right now I am more concerned about excess rope dragging under a rock, getting stuck and the tide coming in, I've been robbed I tell ya! I recently bought some leaded rope and took it back. Going to set up with floating rope towards the bottom with a chunk of chain part ways up to keep the rest under.
    you ain't supposed to spread that around

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default those that have

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Love it! Great idea. Pretty Funny

All I was saying was - I hear about the problem - just dont see it. My guess is, a fair amount of people losing pots are losing them for bunch of different reasons other than theft. Thats all.

I've pulled empty pots before - it happens - Octo's are pretty amazing little creatures.

I've never lost a set, nor had any thiefs, nor have the 2 other people I cruise with. So i'm not denying it happens. I was just sayin for the sake of the argument ya know. Thats all
    Those that have and those that will have...... knock on wood becouse your are in that group right now,the will have. Just for the sake of argument. I dont now anyone that has not lost gear.

Default I'm with Cutter on the lost pots/gear

I'll start by saying that I'm not attacking anybody's credibility as a fisherman or doubting anybody's experience whatsoever. With that disclaimer behind us, I think a lot of the "stolen" pots and shrimp reports are due to other non-human factors.

Everybody wants to conclude that when they don't find their gear, that somebody came by and messed with it. Many of these reports can be attributed to currents sucking down buoys, sinking line getting caught in rocks and CORAL, coils not going out properly, people not putting enough line on their gear etc. When we go out longlining, it's typical to see buoys/flags/hardballs sucked down completely by the current. Nobody gets upset and claims that someone came out and hauled our longline string. Before concluding that missing gear has been stolen and putting dog poop or hand grenades on our gear, we should really consider the other factors that come into play. Remember that buoys that get sucked under do lose their buoyancy and might never resurface, make sure you have some backup and a trailer. If that doesn't work, come back and check it again at slack tide.

I've lost gear three times, in an area that is notorious for 'stolen' pots. I check my gear there and often find faint streaks of red paint on my buoys. State-Ferry-Bottom-Paint-Red to be exact. Why do I continue to fish there when my gear gets run over? Let's just say it's worth the risk...

Default Go look for them

Twice I've come back to pull my pots and they were gone. So I motored in the direction of the wind and current. Both times I eventually found them. The second time over 6 miles from where I left them.

I know that the first time it wasn't someone stealing the shrimp. When we caught up to them, each pot had 3-4 dozen shrimp in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast