Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez Silver Fishing - Fall 2011

Smile Valdez Silver Fishing - Fall 2011

Hey everyone...I posted a thread out there about this same time in 2010 about checking in on the silver fishing out of Valdez and I got great responses. I'm hoping to do the same thing. Basically, just want to know what things look like for silvers down in Valdez this season. Anyone catching anything far out yet? I figure nothing has come in through the narrows as of yet but never hurts to check. Planning on coming down Aug. 11-14. Came down same time last year and killed them. Great fun for my boy and I. We don't even keep any of them.....all catch and release, we just don't eat a ton of salmon and usually get plenty of reds. Any info you can send my way would be very appreciated. I know others used my thread last year as well to keep up on how things were shaping up.

I caught one on the 1st at Bligh reef. Didnt see any in numbers yet though

Yep - You killed them. C&R on salt or new fresh water Silvers is published by the ADF&G to cause high rates of mortality. Don't play with your food - Eat It. Once they harden in the fresh water they are a little tougher.

Have caught many a fish down there with hooks in their mouths. I never take them out of the water. I'll read up on your report. Or better yet, provide the link if you can. I'll keep them then and give them away to those more needy. I'm in need of catching fish!

Quote Originally Posted by rizks_2000 View Post
    Have caught many a fish down there with hooks in their mouths. I never take them out of the water. I'll read up on your report. Or better yet, provide the link if you can. I'll keep them then and give them away to those more needy. I'm in need of catching fish!
    You can view a list of ADF&G scientific papers here. One of the articles often cited is "Mortality of coho salmon caught and released using sport tackle in the Little Susitna River, Alaska." Fisheries Research 15:339-356. You may request a copy by writing to SFPUB@fishgame.state.ak.us.

Another article of possible interest is " Hooking mortality: A review for recreational fisheries " by Muoneke and Childress in Reviews in Fisheries Science [REV. FISH. SCI.]. Vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 123-156. 1994. I don't know how you can obtain a copy of this article, sorry. I've only seen an abstract. It says that studies suggest catch and release mortality rates for coho salmon could be as high as 68 percent, though the variables are obviously a complicating factor. I have no idea how they measured this. The abstract does say that rates of mortality among red drum, a species common to the Gulf of Mexico coast and lower Atlantic coast, are as high as 30 percent, and that corresponds to what I read some time ago (back in the 90's) from a study conducted in Florida. To be honest, that was what made me a convert to the "catch what you're going to eat and nothing more" fishing policy. To each his own. I'm not advocating anything here or looking to start an argument, just pointing you in the direction of some of the reading that might be of interest.

So back on topic.............how about those silvers? Getting near Valdez yet?

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Haven't seen too many posts out there yet Akiceman25. Am hoping I get more responses like I did last year. Believe the women's derby is the same weekend I'm going this year and the same as it was last year. typically, that seems to be the best weekend to go if you want to catch them one after the other. I'm no expert but that tends to be what I've seen. Let me know what you hear on your end. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rizks_2000 View Post
    Hey everyone...I posted a thread out there about this same time in 2010 about checking in on the silver fishing out of Valdez and I got great responses. I'm hoping to do the same thing. Basically, just want to know what things look like for silvers down in Valdez this season. Anyone catching anything far out yet? I figure nothing has come in through the narrows as of yet but never hurts to check. Planning on coming down Aug. 11-14. Came down same time last year and killed them. Great fun for my boy and I. We don't even keep any of them.....all catch and release, we just don't eat a ton of salmon and usually get plenty of reds. Any info you can send my way would be very appreciated. I know others used my thread last year as well to keep up on how things were shaping up.
    I went back through some of the 2010 threads to try to remember when I was there last year because I need to put in a request at work for time off to fish silvers. It looks like around August 20 the silvers started showing up in numbers close to town. By "close" I mean within a mile or so of the harbor. By the last few days of August they were at the harbor. It's a tough call, since there aren't historical in-river counts like on the Kenai or Kasilof. August 11 sounds a little early, though, if you're not fishing from a boat. I'll have to go back and see if I missed any threads from last year or any from 2009 that indicated there were good numbers showing up in town or over near Allison Point by the second week of August. Fingers crossed for them to show up early, no matter what.

[Edit: i went back into the 2009 posts and it looks like 2009 was a strange year, with the silvers not really showing up in numbers near town until the last few days of August and even then not really spectacular. Maybe one of the local fishermen will recall how things have gone in prior years. Still hoping they're early this year if you're going mid-August.]

Silver's are headed to Valdez. Was out yesterday and caught six near Galena Bay. They seem to be here earlier than the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    Silver's are headed to Valdez. Was out yesterday and caught six near Galena Bay. They seem to be here earlier than the last couple of years.
    Great news! Sounds like this might be a good year!

Any guesses on when the silvers might start hitting Allison Point?
    I have only been fishing Silvers out of Valdez for about 3-4 years, so I don't really have a real good history of tracking fish movement.
    According to Rod123, as of last weekend he caught 6 silvers near Galena Bay.
    In looking at Google maps it looks like they are near the entrance to the narrows.
    Any guesses on how long it will take the silvers to start hitting Allison Point?
    I have a planned trip for the last week of Aug, but by the looks of the fish run I might be hitting some reddish/pinkish silvers by that time.

Would appreciate any thoughts of the timeframe for silvers to hit Allison.

Thanks.

A week before and after the womens derby seems to be the right timing for me.

Best luck I've had from shore has always been the last week of August-1st week of Sept. After Labor Day, the commercial fisherman hit them hard, but the fishing can still be good in the harbor and near shore.

We caught 1 silver at Allison Point last Monday (7/25)... and a whole pile of pinks. But there was a silver in the mix.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I went back through some of the 2010 threads to try to remember when I was there last year because I need to put in a request at work for time off to fish silvers. It looks like around August 20 the silvers started showing up in numbers close to town. By "close" I mean within a mile or so of the harbor. By the last few days of August they were at the harbor. It's a tough call, since there aren't historical in-river counts like on the Kenai or Kasilof. August 11 sounds a little early, though, if you're not fishing from a boat. I'll have to go back and see if I missed any threads from last year or any from 2009 that indicated there were good numbers showing up in town or over near Allison Point by the second week of August. Fingers crossed for them to show up early, no matter what.
    I checked the 2008 threads and it looks like in 2008 by August 20 silvers were showing up strong from Mineral to Gold Creek, with jumpers down near the harbor. By the 25th, people were getting limits routinely. With Labor Day being late this year (Sept. 5), it sounds like anyone heading down either of the two weekends before might beat the peak crowds and have a good shot at a limit or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I checked the 2008 threads and it looks like in 2008 by August 20 silvers were showing up strong from Mineral to Gold Creek, with jumpers down near the harbor. By the 25th, people were getting limits routinely. With Labor Day being late this year (Sept. 5), it sounds like anyone heading down either of the two weekends before might beat the peak crowds and have a good shot at a limit or two.
    Hey now, you're giving away my timing strategy.

I always go during the week prior to the holiday weekend. It's never failed to produce a fair amount of fish and fun, and sometimes it's ridiculously good fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Best luck I've had from shore has always been the last week of August-1st week of Sept. After Labor Day, the commercial fisherman hit them hard, but the fishing can still be good in the harbor and near shore.
    You should see the collection of lures a seiner collects if he gets a decent set of silvers. The net looks like a Christmas tree going through the powerblock

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    You should see the collection of lures a seiner collects if he gets a decent set of silvers. The net looks like a Christmas tree going through the powerblock
    If anyone finds a Deep Six, it's probably the one we lost.

Never been down to Valdez with my boat and was planning on taking it this year. I have a 17' Alumaweld figured it should be good for the harbor.

Gear: I was just going to use my 8'6 MH Light Series Ugly stik with 30 pound Maxima, trolling a deep six or pink lady with a dodger and hoochie about 30" back??? Or just using a haring harness behind a dodger or flasher.

these set ups sound okay??? How deep are the fish usually? Should I have my down riggers on the boat?

thanks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast