Thread: Heaters on Boat

Default Heaters on Boat

I have a new Wooldridge Boat, but they dont have a heater on them......

So was wondering what others do to provide heat in the cabin area for the dear wife and kids....:-)

Is it an inboard or an outboard?

It is a outboard...

I was thinking one of this Portable Buddy heaters that take the 1lb propane canisters, but wanted to see what others do....

I do not have a cabin so I went to heated seats, if you have an outboard it may not generate enough current to charge your battery and heat the seats.

I installed the Wallas Cooktop/Heater, The inboard hot water heater keeps it way to warm while under power, to which I have a spare heater core I need to sell some day. But I have a back up Buddy but propane adds so much water to the air it looks like your standing in a shower.

I used a big buddy that sat on the center step between the consoles. I used a 5lb propane bottle on the bow in a milk crate instead of the 1 lb canisters. Way better. With the heat up front, it clears the windshields fast.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

We have a Webasto diesel heater on our SeaSport (in addition to the inboard heat exchanger) and it works great overnight. Travis at
    Advance Diesel Service sells Espar heaters which are very similar. Nice not to add the water from propane....

Remember I have a outboard so was trying to figure out the options

I would look very hard at the webasto or espar. I am running the espar airtronic d4 and could not be happier. Spendy, but worth every dime that it cost to keep the wife happy.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'll have to second the espar heater. The best investment i have done to my boat. It sips fuel and is easy on the battery.

Mr Buddy w/a line and larger bottle.
    We only run it while awake though, don't trust the low oxygen sensor they are equipped with.
    BK

There is also a small diesel heater from West Marine that is pretty good. It is made by Sig Marine ( I think) and has good reviews.

Once again I have to concur with Spoiled One. Mine is set up to defrost as well. They are quiet. They can operate while you are moving. The Mr Buddies konk out when you hit a bump sometimes. They don't give off the moisture of the propane. Can't complain about mine.

Big buddy for me and it works good...
    Tony

I used to use a Mr. Heater in my Wooldridge Pilot house but the water vapor made it not even worth it. Everything was clammy inside. I installed a Webasto unit about 3 years ago. It's been flawless, will chase you out of the cabin and the heat is totally dry.

Dave

I use the Wallas/cooktop heater as well and it works awesome to heat the main cabin and cook meals , my only complaint about it is that if you have a cuddy cabin theres not really a way to force warm air down there with this heater.(cuddy is cold!) Im Actually thinking of buying an additional heater to duct into the cuddy and Bathroom if no cuddy on your boat.....I highly suggest it as a great dual purpose unit.

So for me right now my options are the Big Buddy or the Portable Buddy .... Any thoughts on which one to go with???

I used a regular Buddy and it put out plenty of heat. Make sure you have squeegees and towels on board. You will need them........

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    So for me right now my options are the Big Buddy or the Portable Buddy .... Any thoughts on which one to go with???
    Big Buddy puts out enough heat to clear the front windshields and it has a built in fan unit that you can find a cigarett lighter adapter for it. I know the other diesel heaters are really the cat's meow, but when you're on a skimpy budget, this approach will work. If you end up using a large tank, be sure to get an oil filter for the heater.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Big Buddy works well except for the condensation it creates. ( like everyone has said) I still keep one on my boat to kick on occasionally. It heats the whole boat up in no time......I just dont trust it when Im sleeping. Definitely a good way to get some heat relatively cheap. Any heat is better than none