View Poll Results: What rifle would you pick.......

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15 (223/5.56x45)

42 40.78%
  • AR-15 (other caliber, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39)

4 3.88%
  • AR-10 (308/7.62x51)

13 12.62%
  • M14/M1A (308/7.62x51)

15 14.56%
  • M1 Garand (30 Gov't '06)

6 5.83%
  • M1 Carbine (30 U.S. Carbine)

0 0%
  • FAL (308/7.62x51)

6 5.83%
  • AK-47 & variants (7.62x39)

9 8.74%
  • H&K 93 (223/5.56x45)

2 1.94%
  • H&K 91 (308/7.62x51)

6 5.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What rifle would you pick......

Default What rifle would you pick......

What rifle would you pick to always be at your side or on your back if you are forced to take to the fields and highways a fugitive from your own home?

Because of;

Total collapse of all infrastructure of government....

Your country has been invaded by a foreign army....

Aliens have come to earth and taking our children...

Just hypothetical, armchair, heroic, mental adventure....
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I would grab my .223/5.56 AR carbine with Collapsible Stock and CMMG 22LR conversion bolt and magazine. I would stuff as many bricks of ammo as I could in my pack and head for high ground. This combo is easy to carry and would let me fire both .223/5.56 and 22LR. Almost any home that has firearms has a 22LR or ammo for it laying around and ammo both both calibers would be easy to scavenge. Only takes seconds to swap out the bolt and magazine. I could carry both the AR and hundreds of rounds of ammo and still move quickly.

For those that might feel a 22LR is a little light, I think 25 rounds fired at you as fast as someone could pull the trigger might change your mind. The 22LR has killed untold numbers animals including the 2 legged ones.

.223/5.56 ammo could be scavenged from military bases, police stations ect....

These two calibers are most likely some of the most commonly found in the USA.

Murphy, hope you have a wonderful and safe trip, and thanks for all your help.

Best wishes Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm a bit older than most in the forum and perhaps have a different view point...I use a 45 acp (Kimber and Colt) for personal protection. I also have a Marlin model 45 "Camp Rifle"...I've added a stronger Wolf spring and new bumper pad and put a 2.5 X Leupold VariX II on it. That little rifle uses the standard 45 clips that fit my pistols...pretty convenient huh and I have a bunch of those and some bulk 45 ammo in ammo cans.I also have a .223 Rifle and plenty of 223 ammo. For stopping vehicles I have some hard lead LBT 405gr bullets for my 45-70 and some banded solids for my 375 Ruger and 416 Remington. Not to mention my food supply and other items...but that's another story!! As Sam Elliot said in the Movie "Once we were men" if I need an AR 15 there will be plenty of them laying around!!!

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Actually that Marlin camp carbine is a helluva nice idea. 45 ACP and 1911 mags make it a very useful companion piece for a good 1911.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Despite the fact that I am old and slow, I would run my M1a. Reason being more long range knockdown power to defend my hovel or shoot game. I figure 1000 rounds of ammo would do me, since I already stock up on toilet paper which I can trade for Gold and bullets. Toilet paper is the key to survival

Well since we don’t know our foe I’d think the WWII liberator idea as model to follow would be best . . . work with whatever you have to take the other guy’s stuff and make the enemy your supply chain.

We are operating in a hostel zone where we likely won’t be able to re-supply our choice with ammo and don’t know what will be available to us till we get there. So I figure what I pick is irrelevant other than it should be capable of taking out enemy till I can grab their weapon, ammo, and other supplies. I figure spending a lot of time planning for an event like this is a waste because we can’t plan for the unknown. I’d just plan to survive long enough to be able to actually plan once I know what I’m up agents and for that all I need for a gun is whatever I have or can come up with.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I can trade for Gold and bullets.
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Toilet paper is the key to survival
    ...only if you can eat it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm with stid...I'd be packing my AR-15 in .223/5.56x45 Ammo and parts are everywhere. It'll kill things to eat and humans just fine. I doubt under any scenario I would need the longer range capabilities of a .308. The lighter weight of both the rifle and the ammo make the AR-15 a good choice to be on the move with.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I’m with ADfields… take the bad guys stuff! I am just going to sit around the house drinking excessively and wait for the Aliens to show up…then blast them in the head (or whatever alien appendage looks to be vital to its survival) and presto! I’ll be sporting the latest greatest plasma laser skin melting discombobulator ray zapper in town! Yeah Baby! While all you guys are humping 100 lbs of ammo thru the skeeter infested bogs eating spam and 15 year old MRE’s I will be sitting on my back porch, beer in hand melting the faces off of aliens with my new ray gun! ;-)
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What rifle would you pick to always be at your side or on your back if you are forced to take to the fields and highways a fugitive from your own home?

Because of;

Aliens have come to earth and taking our children...

If the Aliens are dumb enough to take my Son, no weapons will be required!!!!! If he drives them only half as crazy as he has me, they will leave so fast you would think their buts were on fire!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

'06. Same reason why I would take it hunting if I was going somewhere far from home. You can get ammo anywhere. In any of the above scenarios I'm not out looking for a confrontation, just trying to stay alive and protect what is mine. Well placed shots from an '06 will do the trick and I'll be able to scrounge ammo wherever I am. Since the M1 is the only option you offered, I'll take it. I'd be happier with a Mauser, though.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I like the AR 223 and something in 22LR that my wife could also cart along. If its Aliens I read where they like snickers bars so stock up on them to barter with I reckon???
    Perhaps a good bolt gun in 223 would not be bad either for those longer shots - no matter what the scenario it is a lot more fun to contemplate than the real thing would be for sure.... There are plenty of people in this world that "are" making such decisions for real - glad I live in the USA!
    A good bow or crossbow could have some great uses as well - quiet - effective...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If the Aliens are dumb enough to take my Son, no weapons will be required!!!!! If he drives them only half as crazy as he has me, they will leave so fast you would think their buts were on fire!!!!
    Steve
    Ha! aint that about the truth! I got three boys under the age of 8 and I would rather go a round with Mike Tyson than fall asleep on the floor... rough and tumble doesnt even come close! after they were done burning them with magnifying glasses and zapping them with those tennis racket bug zapper things I am sure they would put them to work as beasts of burden pulling wagons about the property before killing and frying them up to see what they taste like.... and only if the wife didnt get there first to slice them into strips, hang them to dry, and can e'm up for alien helper.... ;-)
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

So I think I vote for any of the .308 variations just because it has the power I may need, kill anything I may eat and those are the only my options. But...my other gun is going to be a supressed .22 LR and I dont care if its a single shot Contender or a high capacity AR. I can carry more ammo for it than I am likely to shoot in 5 years (like STID said) and nobody is going to hear it. Hence "survival". And if I can find find an adequate supply of arrows for the crossbow I may just take it also...

Why is there no option for a lever gun?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    A good bow or crossbow could have some great uses as well - quiet - effective...
    Compound bows aren't quiet. long bows aren't quite (big twang of the string), and they are long. them little indin bows is what we all need to learn to shoot. my grandpa and I make them quite a bit, they are usualy around 30 Lbs, 4 foot long, and deady quiet. If you sit in a bush with one of them and a quiver full of arrows and start pickin them off one at a time. no body would ever know. then when they pass, you quietly sneak out, get ahead of them, and do the same thin over and over. if you have to pick off a guy in teh alley, no body would hear the gun shot. you can shoot it from any position.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I would take a 7.62x39. if the iraquies come to kill us, thats the ammo thier gonna have. not to mentiong a AK 47 can shoot with 2 fistfulls of silt in it. teh 7.62 is ballistically a wee bit higher than the 30-30, so you could whack any big game animal you wanted with it. get a 2-7 power scope with a flip off scope holder thingy and you'd be set.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I picked the AR-15 (223/5.56x45) 'cause it's common now. If this were 50 years ago, I'd pick something different.

And for those who think they need something bigger for bigger critters, I remember reading 30 years ago about a 17 year old girl from Kotze who killed her first polar bear with 7 shots from her .223 Mini-14. Remember survival isn't about playing fair.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Depends, I guess. I voted for the Garand, but own everything but the H&K's. Hmmmm. Naw, the Garand still wins. Mine wear Schuster adjustable gas plugs, so I can shoot just about every .30-06 load that I can get into the action. .308 would be my next choice, in an M1A, the only reason it's in second place is that I can find '06 at the gas station in Resume Speed, Idaho, but .308 is not always there.
    Not on the list, also, and probably should be, is the Mini-14. Maybe not national match accurate, but every one I've had my hands on go bang every time. Being able to cut the stock off at the pistol grip for concealment and not affecting function is a plus over the AR types that need the buffer tube and spring/buffer....
    I'm also picking up every serviceable piece and all the trimming I can get my hands on along the way.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Why is there no option for a lever gun?
    That's me!! 1895 in 45-70 for food gitting and stop cars for 'foraging', you won't need any more range than 200, as you should be be trying to avoid trouble. Any trouble that comes my way will get either 10mm or 9mm from a handgun. Course, the 45-70 you can hand feed 410s if you want to small game/bird with it, although the patterning is a bit, well.....crap.
    223 is too much bulk (rifle and ammo) for not enough oomph IMHO and if an AR you need to keep cleaning the darn thing too often.

If you think you will be able to 'acquire' ammo for a mil caliber, then you will be able to acquire mil cal guns in the same fashion. So don't waste your money on a safe-queen SHTF AR, get a car stopper and you will be able to get all the ARs you want from the local ganstas who can only shoot from moving cars!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast