Thread: Harter's Taxidermy, ***???

Angry Harter's Taxidermy, ***???

Hey all, been a while since I've posted. The Army took me Texas...****...hate this place. I'll be back soon....so anyhow...Here's my question. I dropped a ptarmy off to Harter's in Fairbanks back in September. They informed me that it would be 8-10 weeks. I told them I wasn't going to be in the state due to the aforementioned temporary relocation. They said no biggie and I gave them my dad's address to ship it to once complete. I hadn't heard anything from them by Febuary and ATTEMPTED to contact them several times. They finally called me back 4 weeks later and informed me that they were no longer doing business but my bird would be done in "a couple weeks". It's now almost August and I've attempted to get a hold of them again and still nothing. I paid for the bird (half down) with the other half due on completion. I've heard that these guys have pretty much F-ed everyone who had work with them. Does anybody have any information or similar experiences? I've contacted an attorney friend of mine to figure out what I can do. If anybody else wants to try to get a lawyer involved let me know and I'll see if there is any class action that can be taken. Thanks a ton.

Easy on Harter there, He sold out a few years ago and the place has changed name a time or two. The shop is still on Peger road.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

If you have any friends still in alaska get them to stop by and do some questioning. Maybe they can get it for you.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Yeah I'm headed back into town mid August and we are going to have a conversation. I've contacted a lawyer...lets go...I'm not the type of fella' to sit around once I've determined to do something.

Harter is selling houses now. Want to reach him just call and ask about buying a house, then ask if your mount will come with it!!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I gave him a black bear to mount and the results were catastrophic. He only told me it was his first bear after I got it here in Idaho and was appalled at the finished product.
    Thankfully I had a second bear done that same year by the other Taxi in Fbks and the results were stunning. It resides on my wall.
    It was ironic; the bear I gave H. was twice the hide.
    He did do a whitetail for me for free given the $1000 crap rug and it was pretty nice. His deer work was always good, imho. He promised me a free bear rug job as well, but obviously that will never happen if he is in Hawaii or where ever selling real estate.

I like him as a person, some of his work was just rough.
    Bottom line fellas, go with an established well-regarded taxi. Spend the extra kwan if necessary.
    Proud to be an American!

You're going to hire a lawyer to find out what happended to a couple hundred dollar Ptarmigan mount?
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Richard Harter sold the business a few years back, and is now working in the real estate business selling homes in Fairbanks. It shouldn't be to hard to get a hold of him, just do a Google search. The problem you may have is that because he sold the business (and probably all rights and work); you are more than likely going to have to sue the guy who bought his business (and renamed it Alaska Safari something). That shop is now out of business. I'm not sure of that guys name, however the taxidermist the new owner brought up from Mississippi is the fellow named Sam, who is on the TV Mounted in Alaska. He is working for Knights taxidermy in Anchorage. Canít speak about the bear rug that someone didnít like, but Rich did a full lynx mount for me that was incredible. I have heard rumors of why he sold out and moved on, and it had nothing to do with the quality of his wrok.