Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What firearm for charging bears that are.....

Default What firearm for charging bears that are.....

What firearm for charging bears that are slightly blind in one eye, and coming UP a 30 degree hill through Cow Parsnip and grass that is six feet, four and seven-eights inches tall, closing from your hard right, at 7:39 AM on a Thursday in late August, if it is raining and the wind is WSW @ 35 Gusting to 48 MPH, also assume that you are in the act of peeing, but NOT into the wind. Also assume that there are no lever action guide guns. Note: It is a requirement that this forum always have a open thread dealing with charging bears.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What firearm for charging bears that are slightly blind in one eye, and coming UP a 30 degree hill through Cow Parsnip and grass that is six feet, four and seven-eights inches tall, closing from your hard right, at 7:39 AM on a Thursday in late August, if it is raining and the wind is WSW @ 35 Gusting to 48 MPH, also assume that you are in the act of peeing, but NOT into the wind. Also assume that there are no lever action guide guns. Note: It is a requirement that this forum always have a open thread dealing with charging bears.
    Is the barometric pressure rising, falling, or steady? What is the dew point? Is there Devils Club interspersed amongst the Parsnip? Is it "Late" August as in 3rd week or 4th week? Zipper or Button-Fly? Boxers or Briefs? Is the Urinating Soon-To-Be-Bear-Snack a Southpaw, if so (or not) does he pee with the same hand?

As much as I would like to assist you with the original question, your lack of specific details precludes me from doing so.

<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Just pee in his good eye.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Is the barometric pressure rising, falling, or steady? What is the dew point? Is there Devils Club interspersed amongst the Parsnip? Is it "Late" August as in 3rd week or 4th week? Zipper or Button-Fly? Boxers or Briefs? Is the Urinating Soon-To-Be-Bear-Snack a Southpaw, if so (or not) does he pee with the same hand?

As much as I would like to assist you with the original question, your lack of specific details precludes me from doing so.

<grin>
    Good answer, sorry I can't give and more rep points till I spread them about.......

We all know guide guns are the best, but if none are available.
    my #2 choice once I got zipped up.

Just saying.

1. Is it a sow with cubs?
    2. Is it bear season?
    3. Do you have a bear tag?
    4. If you are on a guided hunt I think you should run and let the guide deal with it perhaps?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Gitter done with real POWER.

Dunno...but bear spray and performing the afore mentioned biological function don't mix. It would be better to be eaten by a bear than get bears spray on the private parts..
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My favorite responses to these "charging bear threads" is when someone contributes the obvious as new words of wisdom, e.g., "The best protection is between your ears" or "Whatever you choose it's useless unless you practice" (and then they go on to describe in painful detail their own dedicated daily practice regimen).

What firearm for charging bears
    What would a bear need a firearm for? I mean, those teeth and claws can do extensive damage and now you wanna arm them???

-akiceman25

then they go on to describe in painful detail their own dedicated daily practice regimen
    I practice once a month, really I do. First, I have a hearty lunch of chili and Budweiser. The, I take three gallons of water, a garbage bag, and a change of clothes, then pick up my buddy and we go to Kincaid Park. I park and roll up a fattie and he goes into the trees and hides. Then, when my reaction time is at its peak, I walk down the trail carrying a paintball gun. At some point, when I am walking whilst humming In A Gadda Da Vida or White Rabbit, he leaps out at me and screeams BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR
    I then drop to the ground while simultaneously pooping myself and firing a paintball gun into his chest.

Get up, squish back to car, roll another fatty, rinse off in bucket, change clothes, drive home.
    I am so prepared.

...just what do bears charge these days? Debit or Credit? ID please. Red stripe?

a 308 and a 45 ACP! HAHAHA
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Its all about shot placement.A solid hit with a gun can can shoot gun like a 22lr is better than a miss with a 458. Even if you just stun the bear if you skin him before he wakes he will leave you alone.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If the grass was 6 feet 6 inches I would say a .375 h&h sako with a 1.5 x 5 leupold. But since it's less a .338 win mag ruger m77 with a 3x9 nikon. Now if the hill was 20 degrees you better get a .500 NE. Just sayin
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I would have nothing to worry about, I would ask my wife to step up in front of me or maybe my brother....... Then he/her meal is done. Now the question is how will I spend the insurance money?????????

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its all about shot placement.A solid hit with a gun can can shoot gun like a 22lr is better than a miss with a 458. Even if you just stun the bear if you skin him before he wakes he will leave you alone.
    I'd go with the miss using a 458. In all seriousness ... it makes a bit more noise which might gain the bear's attention. Secondly, not walking around with a probable wounded bear. Third of all, nothing like a bruised shoulder and ego to realize one messed up.

Browning M2 and one box of ammo!

Well with cow parsnip and grass at 6 and a half feet tall affecting vision.
    And a steady wind at 35, to 48 gusting affecting hearing.
    And if you're busy doing your business to boot early in the morning so still kinda groggy.

Most likely you haven't seen, heard or comprehended you're being charged by a bear until its on ya and you're down on the ground. I'll take a handgun thats strapped to me, please.

Its kinda crazy how close you can get before you or the bear know you are there when the wind is blowing 35. I've had 30 foot encounters before I saw them in the woods, they never knew I was there. I wonder how many times that was reversed.

first things first, if it is charging make sure there is a valid signature on the back of the card. The bear will need to provide a picture I.D. also. If all that information is valid, perhaps then the bear may proceed with the charge. I would assume that both the bear and I met in the Boondocks of Alaska where the whole charge would be a futile effort; we all know Boondocks does not allow charges, Cash or Check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast