Thread: Best Bear View Area -South Central Alaska

Default Best Bear View Area -South Central Alaska

I move to Alaska(Eagle River) in October 2010, my in-laws are visiting and both are handicap. They want to see wildlife and we have seen plenty(goats, sheep, moose, wolverine, whales, caribou, etc) just not any bears. Where is a good spot to see bears in the south central area? Also, can a person drive to the Wolverine Creek Management Area?

I know of a location but would rather not post it here if you email me or call the number in my signiture I will let you know of somewhere I believe you can still drive to,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

How handi capped?
    If they need a walk way then your best bet is the wildlife "show" in Portage. Caged bears and all that stuff.

You can hang out in various parts of Eagle River valley and see bears wandering around the neighborhoods in the evening or early mornings. You can also head up to the Hillside area and into Bear Valley off of Rabbit Creek Road in south Anchorage and might see a few bears in the evenings and mornings. Bears move around all day and night so unless there is a fixed food source like a salmon spawning stream to draw them in you also have to move around to find them.

The dumpster at Chair 5 of the Double Musky in Girdwood usually has one or two in there...at least one passing through my yard every day for over a month now.

Tustumena lake is pretty hot right now by bear creek. I saw a dozen there last night on the way up in the wind and rain. there are 8 in this photo.

tlakebear.jpg

For HC access, drive to Valdez and hit Dayville road in the early morning or late evening hours. The bears appear at least twice daily.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!