Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound off. Who is going to Fishapalooza this Sept? What dates?

Question Sound off. Who is going to Fishapalooza this Sept? What dates?

The wife and I are making plans for Sept. Since the purpose of this trip is largely social and facilitates seeing you goobers, the timing is important. Wondering what dates you guys/gals were going to be there. We will make our travel plans largely based on when you guys plan on being around. As of now, we have the Sept 2-14 time frame to work with.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Is everyone welcome?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Do bears **** on gravel bars?

For those not in the know, Fishapalooza is an informal get together of forum members at the Upper Kenai in Sept. It is fun, fishing, and friends. Plain and simple. Russian River Campground (Rainbow loop) is where most folks camp. This will be the third official "palooza". Alaskachuck, JohnSWA, and Drifter016 seem to be the unofficial founders of Fishapalooza.

The game plan is simple. We float the river, commonly Sportsmans to Jim's on the Upper Kenai in rafts and drift boats during the day. Fly fishing for bows and dollies, most folks using beads this time of year, but flies work too. Some shuttle together, many do their own thing and hit the water when they feel like it. River is crowded on Saturdays and this is a good drinking or clothes washing day. Run up to Wildman's store and take a shower and pick up a dozen corn dogs. Run to Soldotna and hit Fred Meyers to resupply staples. Open format, do what ever you feel like, that is the whole point.

During late afternoon early evening, most folks get together around a common campfire and share some fishing stories (lies, lies, and more lies) BS, BS, BS, and cold beverages. Not a child friendly environment, but very friendly and tame for all but those with the most sensitive ears. Bible beaters are welcome as long as they have a sense of humor and slightly thick skin. Folks come to Palooza to relax and have fun. Often that means jugs of Carolina Tea being passed around and short people singing and dancing. Won't mention names, but Quinn knows who I am talking about. Missed out on the lantern of death incident a few years back, but Alaskachuck could share the story.

Some elect to hang out in their own camps and just chill out, being selectively social if you will. Some guys bring their wives or girlfriend, but it is a weiner fest for the most part. Some stay a week or two, some a few nights, some just pop in for the day to put faces on forum names and have a beer. The fact that I am going for the third year in a row should say something. I would not fly 4,000 miles to hang out with a bunch of ***holes. Do drop in.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan I hope to be down that way some between those dates. Are you guys still doing a remote float?

I'll be down there the first weekend of September..
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Nice of your mom to drive you down

Looking forward to seeing you.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Dan I hope to be down that way some between those dates. Are you guys still doing a remote float?

Funny story behind that. Last week Carrie and I were driving down to the beach here in NC. Talking about floating the Eek or Togiak in SW. Having been on the Upper Kenai the last two Septembers, and not being able to get time off during summer while working the busy season on Nantucket, we had not done a remote float since the Wulik in 2008. Really in need of my remote float trip fix man, missing it. We were in a pickle because we only had time for a remote float or palooza. Tough decision. About that time, Chuck calls and talks about fishing and hanging out soon. Asking the normal "how ya been" and "what's new" kind of chit chat. After talking with him it was clear. Time with friends on the Kenai or me and Carrie getting drunk alone on a distant gravel bar looking over our shoulders for bears each night. Russian River Campground it is. Friends are important and the rivers in SW Alaska ain't going nowhere. This year I learned to appreciate the few good friends I have and I will look forward to spending time with them around a campfire in Sept.

-Dan

There is a good chance I will stop by and say hello
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    The wife and I are making plans for Sept. Since the purpose of this trip is largely social and facilitates seeing you goobers, the timing is important. Wondering what dates you guys/gals were going to be there. We will make our travel plans largely based on when you guys plan on being around. As of now, we have the Sept 2-14 time frame to work with.

-Dan
    X2 for dates. I have to go south eventually but there is room to manipulate

Hope to see you guys there.

Think I will head down and see what it's all about... sounds fun!

If you fellas would do it after Sept 30th, I sure would be a lot more likely to come down. It's hunting season, for crying out loud!

Still...I sure do hope to make it down for at least a day this time around.

Hubby and I will be there most likely the 7th through the 10th. And I STILL, after all these conversations with Chuck, Dan & JohnSWA I have still NOT heard the lantern of death story, so I hope I make it for the retelling of that.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Kristie, be sure to ask Chuck for a retelling, not a demonstration

Brian, would love to have you come by. Same goes for any other mods and Mike S. Many of us, including myself, would love to put a face with the name. Even if time doesn't allow fishing, drop by one evening and have a few beverages around the campfire and talk a while.

Larry, it is fun. Do drop in.

-Dan

I wouldn't mind meeting some people this year.

I have a float trip Aug 23-28
    Kodiak Goat hunt Sept 9-19

I could squeeze a day of drinking... ahem.. I mean fishing in between the two.

September 2-18 for me. then weekends after that for sure. Light one p[icnic table/latern/tree on fire and it sticks with you forever. Wow. Back then Drifter was a bigger man. I did not think 6'0 400lb people could run the 40 yard dash in 3 seconds. Ole Dave did. I remember the look on Johns face too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    I could squeeze a day of drinking... ahem.. I mean fishing in between the two.

What is the difference?

Do come by man, would be nice to meet you.

-Dan

Default Mountain men

Heard there was gonna be two rednecks there. One with blue hair and one really tall redhead. Lots of fighting and sex..... well you know the rest of the story.

Sounds like a normal weekend to me

Joe and his wife Missy will be there around Sept 5-12. Might bring his Ally pack canoe for ease of transport and such. Carrie and I are considering bringing our Ally for the same reason. Just put some swim noodles on the top of the gunwales and put her upside down on a rented truck from Enterprise. Rope the front and back down. Very easy to carry around.

Bringing a raft up, renting a trailer, finding a rig to tow said trailer, etc.. is a pain. Only rental truck with hitch/ball is ABC RV place and they charge $140/day. What a rip off. I can get a four door truck from Enterprise for $517/week, but no hitch/ball of course. The last two years Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground gave me a buddy rate on the trailer rental which helped and Drifer016 was kind enough to haul the rented trailer with his truck. I just hate relying on other people to pull my slack. At least with the mean greens I can go on the Upper Kenai unsupported. The river in Sept is pretty tame, looks like two Ally canoes will be seen at palooza.

Any of you guys see a green canoe on the Upper Kenai, say hello and offer me a beer...

My wife and I...

My buddy Joe and his wife...

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    Hubby and I will be there most likely the 7th through the 10th. And I STILL, after all these conversations with Chuck, Dan & JohnSWA I have still NOT heard the lantern of death story, so I hope I make it for the retelling of that.
    "Everything's on fire, but the lantern!"!!! Davey thinks he said it first, but I think there was an echo in the house!

Be there, the 7th, through the 18th. My wedding anniversary is the 13th, so I'm paying big time for that snafu! Geez! You'd think that the original date was the most important!.....Women!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast