Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to hunt for a Monster Bull Moose??

Default Where to hunt for a Monster Bull Moose??

Let me ask the question... "If you were going to hunt for a huge bull moose, what area would you hunt?" I hunted moose for the first time last fall and was fortunate enough to take a decent bull. Not a monster by Alaska's standard, but a decent bull. Now I'm hooked. But now I am really interested in taking a BIG bull. Just trying to start looking into where I should be concentrating me research for my next trip. I broken the bad news to my wife when I called home from Anchorage on my last trip to inform here that I WILL BE coming back. I figured I better start warming up to the idea now.
    Thanks.

Default Closer than you think

I saw a nice one on Spendard last year....just two blocks from the Tesoro.

I saw a nice bull in the Harley Davidson parking lot in Anchorage early one morning last year.

Doug

Default cordova

i think they have the fastest growing(antlers) in the state near cordova. an airboat would be nice though.

I seriously doubt anyone's gonna give you info on a great spot for trophy moose. Except a guide who's getting paid to do it. Ya see, if a place is that good, we kinda want to have a shot at that big bull ourselves.

General areas, though...Kenai peninsula, Yukon River, anywhere other folks have a real hard time getting to--of course that means you'll have a freal hard time getting there, too.

Nice.... I think I'm gonna be sorry I asked. There is always at least one comedian inthe group. Not asking for your honey hole, just a little incite.

Default A little insight

In the willows, near a stream.

Call a guide...he'll tell ya all kinds of stuff. Or better yet, read a book.

Maybe I could start a thread called "Where to find Hot to Trot women in Bush Alaska" and get about the same response.

Alaskan outdoorsmen are pretty friendly and supportive of each other...but this could be extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    i think they have the fastest growing(antlers) in the state near cordova. an airboat would be nice though.

Did someone say AIRBOAT ...................
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

"Maybe I could start a thread called "Where to find Hot to Trot women in Bush Alaska" and get about the same response"

I want to read that one!

Doug

Default And good reading

But it would be a pretty short thread....It could probably be summed up with the words "Bring Your Own".

But, back to Monster Moose....let's hear all about spots for Monster Moose.....I'm getting tired of my Monster Moose, I want to go shoot someone else's

down south of yakutat has been decent cordova also has some good moose, Tsiu river area produces some good bulls, koyokuk, huslia, innoko area puts out good bulls every year as does the middle of the ak peninsula. narrowed it down to 3000 square miles, add that with the other info, boat, by the creek in the willows and you'll just about be able to walk right up on him!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

didn't a few of the record class bulls come from the tustemena lake area?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You might get the book Hunting in Alaska by Chris Batin for starters.

61*10' 05" and 149*55' 2".

Wink A.B.C. Club

Alaska Bush Company.

Rather than look for "monsters" perhaps just pick an area where you can have a decent hunt without putting in for a draw tag (your a non res, right?), or hunting under a registration permit, or whatever. There really are only a few places in the state available to non res, without winning a draw permit.
    In May of this year, the Federal Subsistence Board will meet. From what I can gather, it is likely they will lift the restrictions on federal land, in GMU 18 which currently limit moose hunting in that area to locals only. This is for the area of unit 18 along the Yukon R.
    This area currently has one of the healthiest moose pops in the state. It is growing so fast that the state and feds have a cow/calf hunt in winter. The season runs the whole month of sept, and there is no antler size restriction for non res either.
    This area of unit 18 runs from Russian Mission to Emmonak. There are several villages along the river, all with regular air service. A guy with an inflateable could fly into a village, hunt down the Yukon, and pull out at whatever village he decides to. Much of the river has sloughs, and back waters one can get into to get away from regular river traffic. With the long season available in this area, you can devote the time you need to looking for a monster. Since there's no antler restriction, if worse comes to worse, and your hunt is nearing it's end, you could even shoot a meat bull.
    Good Luck whereever you go.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Info on big bull moose

Frankie,

I know you asked this question expecting some real nuts and bolts type of answers, but you need to understand that questions as general as "where's a good place to go moose hunting" will get you a lot of sarcastic, witty, and sometimes downright disrespectful answers. It's as if folks here feel that you're asking them to give away the farm. When you add the word "BIG" in front of "moose", it adds insult to injury, and makes folks wonder about the nerve of a guy who would ask such a question.

I'm sure you never thought if it that way, but that's how those kind of questions appear to a lot of folks. I'm not bringing this up to offend you, but to let you and others know that those kinds of questions will not yield very many inside tips.

Soooo... moving on from the heads-up, here are a couple of things you can do to find a bigger bull in Alaska.

1. Realize that big moose are where you find them. That might sound silly, but the truth is that outsized bulls have come from all over the state. A while back I entertained writing an article titled, "The Giants of the Susitna Valley". This was after an absolutely huge bull was taken over near Mount Susitna, another one was taken over against the base of the Alaska Range (but still in GMU 16) that scored #3 in Boone and Crockett, and several others were taken in the high 60# to 70# category. But then the moose population crashed in Unit 16 and I sorta bagged the idea of writing the article. Brwnbr mentioned several other areas that have produced big bulls, and there are many other places.

2. Check the record book. Grab yourself a current copy of the Boone and Crockett Club's "Records of North American Big Game" and read through the listings there. Just like other animals, size is often passed on genetically, and areas that have traditonally produced larger animals probably will continue to do so in the future. Many of the areas already mentioned are also listed in the top fifty in the B&C record book.

3. Realize that moose are on a downhill slide nearly statewide in Alaska. Simply put, moose hunting here is not nearly as good now as it was ten years ago, and will not be as good in ten years as it is right now. That's a fact driven by natural cycles and there's probably not a lot that's gonna happen to change it. So I'll tell you what I tell everyone else. Do your moose hunting now before it's too late. It will only get worse. Of course, there are pockets here and there and exceptions. But you will need to discover those for yourself.

I hope this helps! One of my goals here is to provide good information, but also (and maybe especially) to help teach folks to find good information themselves too.

Sorry if you were offended by any of what we have written here- and I wish you the best as you search for the trophy you seek.

Best Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default good info...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Rather than look for "monsters" perhaps just pick an area where you can have a decent hunt without putting in for a draw tag (your a non res, right?), or hunting under a registration permit, or whatever. There really are only a few places in the state available to non res, without winning a draw permit.
    In May of this year, the Federal Subsistence Board will meet. From what I can gather, it is likely they will lift the restrictions on federal land, in GMU 18 which currently limit moose hunting in that area to locals only. This is for the area of unit 18 along the Yukon R.
    This area currently has one of the healthiest moose pops in the state. It is growing so fast that the state and feds have a cow/calf hunt in winter. The season runs the whole month of sept, and there is no antler size restriction for non res either.
    This area of unit 18 runs from Russian Mission to Emmonak. There are several villages along the river, all with regular air service. A guy with an inflateable could fly into a village, hunt down the Yukon, and pull out at whatever village he decides to. Much of the river has sloughs, and back waters one can get into to get away from regular river traffic. With the long season available in this area, you can devote the time you need to looking for a monster. Since there's no antler restriction, if worse comes to worse, and your hunt is nearing it's end, you could even shoot a meat bull.
    Good Luck whereever you go.
    Thanks, Trap,
    This might just help this guy!

Default My little secret

A lot of people know this but you have to do a lot of research. Check out past burn areas. Not from last year or the year before but from about 10 years ago. Populations will be built up and where there are lots of moose there will be some big ones. Seems obvious. The trick is find remote burn areas. Less people, higher concentrations of moose, equals large moose. Now do your own leg work. Sorry thats all I will pass on to you.

Default Mike said it best.........

they are where you find them. There are "BIG" moose in all areas, just have to find them and be willing to go the extra mile. I have seen a lot of big moose killed and a majority of them the hunter was just lucky. They were out hoping to find a bull to shoot and end up with a 60 incher! Now, the guys that do it consistently, they are putting themselves into a good area and are spending time and money to get to those areas. Seems to me that Southwestern AK has been producing big moose. I am sure you can look in the book and find big moose from all areas, but there are certain areas that consistently produce big moose. The Cordova area has BIG moose, hard country though. Good luck! I LOVE BIG MOOSE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast