Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many on the forum cut up your own game?

Default How many on the forum cut up your own game?

Just curious how many of you do it yourself, or do you take it in for others to do it for you?

Always Do-It-Myself.

Myself

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Shoulda made this one of them fancy polls: how many do it all themselves; how many do some of it themselves, but take some to be made into commercial sausage etc; how many have it processed commercially; how many hold their nose, take it to a commercial outfit and have it 100 percent ground into burger and mixed with commercial beef suet because they never eat anything but hamburger and "don't really like game meat anyway"....?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would have started a poll if I knew how, lol

do my own butchering then take it in to be made into sausage, chorizo, some burger meat, tip steaks, roasts and such

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

We grind our own burger and cut our own steaks/roasts, but we take probably 20-30% of it in to get made into hot dogs and polish sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We grind our own burger and cut our own steaks/roasts, but we take probably 20-30% of it in to get made into hot dogs and polish sausage.
    This is exactly what I do....'cept then I give about half of it away!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Cut my own and then make my own sausages. Making your own sausage and bacon is fun and easy. Worth trying.

If I pay someone to process it, I may as well buy beef as it would be about the same price minus the labor of packing several hundred pounds of game out of the bush.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Pioneer meats used to do mine for me, only because of the connection through my ex. Now, I'm back to doing it. Used to that, though.

It really depends on temperatures. Due to the high heat last year, my buffaloe went to a commercial meat cutter- and I got screwed. Some of the meat was "aged" way to long- green colour. Tried to charge me for more pounds than dropped off. They weighed the quarters and wrote incoming weight down on my ticket. Then they "misplaced" two boxes of my meat. But, I usually do my own processing, including grind for burger and sausage.

Chris

If anybody is interested, there is a cuber and slicer and a grinder on craigslist under apliances. firgured I'd post it there first, then if nothing happens it will be posted on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Just curious how many of you do it yourself, or do you take it in for others to do it for you?
    Hang it in the garage, butcher it on the kitchen counter. Is there any other way?

Some of us had to sneak it into the kitchen on a girls night out night, then some of the girls could'nt wait to be part of the process, lol.

I've been in on both sides, lol

We do everything from gutting and skinning to making sausage and cuttin roasts
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Does any one know of any good books or vids on how to butcher a game animal? I have never done it myself but am planning on learning how.

Cut and grind myself. Alway have.

Blue, don't know of any books, I learned from my mother and self taught. The one thing that is the most important about cutting any meat is to cut across the grain, its pretty easy to see the grain.

The best thing to do is get with someone that is doing it and let them guide you, just don't let them put you on the hambuger trimming, smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8Gulf View Post
    Does any one know of any good books or vids on how to butcher a game animal? I have never done it myself but am planning on learning how.
    Check out the information on the ADF&G website about this here (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.meatcare ). On that page, there is some information about a video they have available that would help you.

I guess I'm one of the few that take it to a processor. I take mine to Alaska Sausage and Seafood. Why? Well, I'm not sure how to do it myself and right now the limiting factor is time. I went back and shot a whitetail in Ohio, steaks, roasts and ground meat wrapped for $50.00. I wish the price was compareable up here. Hopefully things will slow down and I'll try it myself, caribou first.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast