Thread: Wheelbarrow, golf balls & veggies picture, today

Default Wheelbarrow, golf balls & veggies picture, today

Getting lots of veggies. regular & round zucchini (jade pearl I think)
    zucs, cucs, toms, kohlrabi, cauliflower
    You can see some of the zucs didn't get pollenated well, but should make good zuc bread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

coooool!!!!!!!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Getting lots of veggies. regular & round zucchini (jade pearl I think)
    zucs, cucs, toms, kohlrabi, cauliflower
    You can see some of the zucs didn't get pollenated well, but should make good zuc bread.
    I don't have anywhere near the quantity that you do... I do however have a tomatoe that is ripe enough to pick (tomorrow)
    and two cucumbers of legal size... I do have an abundance of romain lettuce this year, as well as lots of red leaf lettuce... So it looks like we can make a salad using only garden produce.. I'd have 3 or 4 more ripe tomatoes if the sun would ever come back...

mb- nice looking harvest. a suggestion on the zuccs. I do not think you are seeing evidence of bad pollenation, but of calcium deficiency in a few of those zuccs. Misshapen fruit (apples, strawberries, squash/cucs to name a few) is commonly a sign of inadequate Ca, because the calcium is integral for producing a healthy, vigorous cell to cell network that forms the protective rind of the fruit.

Plants go through such vigorous growth spurts in july as they have the root mass to really grow quickly once the day heats up. It only takes a few hours of inadequate calcium to stunt a fruit and with zuccs you see that stunted tip first and then BER if the Ca deficiency is more serious (blossom end rot).

So far I have not gone wrong with a couple of mid season granulated lime applications, spread by hand on the surface and then watered in. I also used copious qtys of fish bone meal for the first two years which contains a fair bit of Ca that is pretty rapidly broken down by microbes and made available.

Inadequate pollenation the fruits will fail to swell at all and quickly turn yellow.

Thanks andweav
    I thought not enough pollen or water. The small not well shaped ones are older. The younger ones are on the right of the picture partially covers with the cucs. They got bigger & are younger ??? so something was going on.
    I'll add some calcium just to be sure. I have some granulated lime & it's raining.

I'm glad i went & check the zucs, As I was adding some lime I noticed a few other fruit with weird tips & 3 rotting tips.
    I hope the lime helps. Maybe the next bunch of pollenated females will be healthier ones.
    Thanks again andweav

the first signs of deformed tips very likely could have been just not enough water, but I think adding lime was a good call. Usually seems to take a couple weeks to water in the surface-added lime where you can't see it anymore, then maybe repeat the process again. I just added my second helping of lime a few days ago (first one was when flowers were just beginning to open).

Also I water the things like crazy but I think you mentioned that in another thread.