Thread: PVC or Hypalon inflatable?

Default PVC or Hypalon inflatable?

Here is a little chart i found that may help you answer the most frequently asked question when choosing an inflatable.

pvc.PNG

this website has good information
    http://www.grandboats.com/adv-sel.htm#4

Not that it matters a whole lot in AK, but I'm guessing the higher rating for Hypalon's heat resistance is due to it's flexibility and expandability. That should allow the air to expand without increasing pressure excessively. Of course that also causes a more flexible boat, not something you always want.

Also I have an Aire Cougar (PVC) that I bought probably close to 15 years old. It's been scratched & gouged, but overall the fabric's still in very usable condition, and looks like it will withstand another 15. I use it a lot, never have treated it with 303 or any other UV inhibitor, and store it outside all the time. So much for their estimated lifetime rating.

Also, this chart does not list urethane; perhaps the best fabric type of all.

Seems like someone's trying to push Hypalon. Personally, I don't think Hypalon needs the hype; it's a very good fabric, even when compared fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Not that it matters a whole lot in AK, but I'm guessing the higher rating for Hypalon's heat resistance is due to it's flexibility and expandability. That should allow the air to expand without increasing pressure excessively. Of course that also causes a more flexible boat, not something you always want.Also I have an Aire Cougar (PVC) that I bought probably close to 15 years old. It's been scratched & gouged, but overall the fabric's still in very usable condition, and looks like it will withstand another 15. I use it a lot, never have treated it with 303 or any other UV inhibitor, and store it outside all the time. So much for their estimated lifetime rating.Also, this chart does not list urethane; perhaps the best fabric type of all.Seems like someone's trying to push Hypalon. Personally, I don't think Hypalon needs the hype; it's a very good fabric, even when compared fairly.
    I've got a new PVC boat myself that still hasnt touched water. First trip will be ressurection bay for some silvers this weekend