Thread: Seward / whittier rock fish

Default Seward / whittier rock fish

Could anyone help me in the right direction for a few good spots to try? I would like to get my girlfriend and her kids on some rock bass and let them have a blast. It's been years since I fished out of Seward and never for rock fish. Ive never been out of whittier ever I'm open to anything within 20 miles or so! I have a 17 foot Alumaweld Stryker. Thank you

If condtions are perfect in Whittier, i.e. dead flat calm, you might want to try around the N end of Culross Passage in the large bay on the E side of the passage. Drift around the rocks and you should be able to pick up some quillbacks. Not very large fish and slow fishing, but you should be able to hook something. Silvers should start showing up in that area, and there will likely be some pinks as well.

That said, Wells passage is often a bath tub of confused waves, so be very cautious in a 17' boat, and as soon as any wind picks up, head back.

The only spots I've fished for rock fish out of Seward are farther out than I'd go in a 17' boat. But with the silvers heading in, on a perfect day you might want to try Caines head.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hit the islands and entrance to the bay in Seward casting along the steep rock walls that line the shore. Bass might not be huge but there will be some to keep the family occupied.
    BK

Hit the Chiswells and all those islands in the area, find the pinacles and points that come up close to shore. There are tons of them out there. If the Sealions on shore near by, just move along as it will be slim pickins.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Hit the Chiswells and all those islands in the area, find the pinacles and points that come up close to shore. There are tons of them out there. If the Sealions on shore near by, just move along as it will be slim pickins.
    The Chiswells are not the place for a 17' boat. Any of the coves on the east side of Res Bay will hold plenty of rockfish and they are a short run from the harbor. Very few are the days I would want to round either of the capes in a 17' boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    The Chiswells are not the place for a 17' boat. Any of the coves on the east side of Res Bay will hold plenty of rockfish and they are a short run from the harbor. Very few are the days I would want to round either of the capes in a 17' boat.
    Neither is a 30 footer in 12 foot seas. Its all about experience, weather, etc.... When I had an 18' Jetcraft, I ventured out there on Bathtub sea days. My last weekend in June out there, both days, a sea kayak would have been just fine. It was glass past Seal Rock. Inside the Bay, Rockbass get pounded hard and pickins are slim.

super hot spot for rock fish in seward is between no name island and the main land. It comes up to about 40ft or so. Should be marked on most gps's. Nice becuase you can release them without harm if they are to small. Caught over 50 in a few drifts last weekend.

Hi, It sounds like from your post you're just looking to have a good outing and some productive fishing. May I politely suggest you fish them shallower than 60 feet so if you decide to release them they won't die? You might already be aware of the issue of rockfish barotrauma, but I think its worth mentioning anyway. Also, please brush up on your rockfish IDs on page 10 of the regs if you're unfamiliar. You're only allowed 1 non-pelagic rockfish per day in your 4/day bag. Again, this might be old news to the OP but maybe its NEW news to those trying to glean info off this thread.

That being said, Seward would be the place to go for rockfish. The silver bite is strong right now too, and they're way more fun to play with IMO anyway...

I wouldn't have any concern about fishing a 17' Stryker out to hive island in Seward on most days, that being said why mess with the rockfish? Put on a 4oz. bannana weight and about 4' of leader to a double hook rig and a whole or cut plug herring and let them mooch for silvers. They appear to be having a great year and i've heard of plenty of them being caught around the islands already. Super fun and easy way to catch salmon as a bonus rockfish will eat that just as well.

We usually fish fairly light gear, medium weight rod with whatever kind of real you have, I use a medium weight spinning reel with around 20lb. line and it makes for a ton of fun!

If you have never been out of Whittier, but have been out of Seward... Hmm, kids and the girlfriend on board...
    Nuff said. Familiar waters can't be a bad thing.

You didn't say if you had gps or not... There is a reason they call them "Rock".
    If you don't have gps.. have some charts. Plenty of places online to print your own.

If you are looking to just get them on the bite.. Any ol pile will probably do. As mentioned earlier... fish shallow so they survive after you let 'em go. You might be surprised and find a few keepers in the mix.

Out of Whittier is probably more protected from weather for the distance you are talking about... Big fish, usually come from big water.

Enjoy and be safe.

Rocky points at Thumb Cove, Humpy Cove, Sunny Cove, Hive Island, any rocky point in the Eldorado Narrows, Caines Head, Callisto Head...... pretty much find a rocky spot & cast inside Resurrection Bay & you will find a rockfish of some persuasion.

Sounds like you have been pointed to some productive spots. Silvers are in now as well. The Chiswells sounds a bit far for a 17' boat with kids & G/F. Would hate to see them scared and not wanting to go on the water again. The Barrier Islands are good (east side of bay) as well as Barwell and around Cape Resurrection area