Thread: ignition/electrical issue honda 300

Default ignition/electrical issue honda 300

I'm swapping parts off my foutrax that has as badly broken frame to the new frame which is a mostly complete machine, actually. I don't want to swap anything I don't have to however.
    The parts machine engine had good compression but won't start..
    I know that the battery, starter relay, ignition switch, and all known fuses are good. The starter does work. But I get no dash lights or headlights, and no sound...
    I put all those above mentioned parts back on the original ATV and it fires right up. I have a honda service manual but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.
    Could the
    There is a module with heat sinks, bolted near the battery compartment but I don't know what that does.
    Any thoughts?.......

Remove the dash lights and clean up all the corrosion by completely taking them out of the rubber and I mean all the way out...and replace the bulbs...on the 300's they were prone to grounding out the ignition system through the dash lights...any one of them will kill the ignition...NO...It is not in the manual.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    There is a module with heat sinks, bolted near the battery compartment but I don't know what that does.
    Any thoughts?.......
    could it be the voltage regulator?

Thanks for the input. I'll try the lights.. Funny thing was when I first hooked up the battery and starter relay in the parts machine all the lights worked... But it can't hurt!
    As for the voltage regulator... I don't recall seeing a reference to it in the manual.. However the "box" located near the battery compartment, could be it. I can see it in the "pics" in the manual, but find no information on... I'll check into that as well and keep you posted..
    Thanks again.....

Well interesting. I do know on my 94 Honda 4 trax if I start it with a battery charger set on 75 amp it will crank and if it dosn't fire on the second stoke it kills all the electrical systems. Wait just a moment and it all comes back. Some sort of circut breaker? I hear a click when it all comes back on. I also have the service manual and yes it sucks.

I'm still puzzled... I swapped out..battery, starter relay, voltage regulator and ignition switch.... no juice to the dash lights and no crank.... the fuses are all good and all connections seem secure.
    The starter does work. I can put all the components back in the original ATV and she fires right up...
    It may be that it's just not in neutral (enough) to allow the safety switch to close...or open or whichever....
    I've noticed a tendency for the fourtrax' to not want to shift if repeatedly shifted while it isn't running. It often requires either using the kickstarter or rocking it back and forth to get it shifting again....
    I'll keep you posted, but I think it will have to go in!