Thread: IsatPhone Pro

Default IsatPhone Pro

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has used the IsatPhone Pro in Alaska? I have a fishing trip planned around McCarthy in a couple of weeks and was looking at sat phone options. The price for these run around $550 with plans for $15/month. A couple of rentals at $100+/week and you could pretty easily justify owning one.

One report claims they work as far north as Fairbanks. There is also a report sponsored by Iridium that says they couldn't get a signal in Anchorage. So I am kind of discounting both reports and hoping for first hand knowledge.

I understand their satellites are in orbit over the equator so the further north you go the lower the signal strength.

Here is a link www.isatphonelive.com they are part inmarsat which seems to have been around for a long time.

Or would I be better off with an Iridium rental?

Thanks
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe_jack View Post
    Hello

I was wondering if anyone has used the IsatPhone Pro in Alaska? I have a fishing trip planned around McCarthy in a couple of weeks and was looking at sat phone options. The price for these run around $550 with plans for $15/month. A couple of rentals at $100+/week and you could pretty easily justify owning one.

One report claims they work as far north as Fairbanks. There is also a report sponsored by Iridium that says they couldn't get a signal in Anchorage. So I am kind of discounting both reports and hoping for first hand knowledge.

I understand their satellites are in orbit over the equator so the further north you go the lower the signal strength.

Here is a link www.isatphonelive.com they are part inmarsat which seems to have been around for a long time.

Or would I be better off with an Iridium rental?

Thanks
    Joe
    Iridium uses Polar Satellites, Global Star was around for a long time and the equatorial satellites were hit or miss around most of Alaska, most often only giving the user about 15 minutes per day call time.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Trust me,, when you need a sat phone you NEED it. Having hunted and used a sat phone for 6 years all over Alaska and having to call the Coast Guard for a MedEvac, get an Iridium. You can rent one for a reasonable rate, there was never a better feeling than knowing that help was on the way.

JMHO

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I picked up a used iridium phone recently and just got off the phone with surveyors exchange to get it setup. If I was an occasional user then a rental would be the way to go. After my wife's friend suffered a broken leg on a remote Kodiak mountainside and was rescued by a USCG chopper called in via sat phone my wife insisted we get one!

O.K., I went ahead and rented the Iridium. I sure wish there was a cheap emergency plan one could get, but there sure doesn't seem to be one. I guess they make more selling airtime than hardware.

I seriously considered thi iSatPhone but was afraid that it would have a hard time getting a signal in AK as well as the north side of a mountain here in Colorado.