Thread: Bagged another blackie!

Default Bagged another blackie!

Well after a wonderful hunt with AKsoldier 2 days ago calling in his 1st blackie on a cub in distress game call I decided to head out to another location that we saw some activity. Was mainly looking to go out with the wife and ride the wheelers and keep the 06 with us for that "just in case" situation.

So we headed out down the trail for about 4 miles and found a nice location with a few game trails and lots of moose tracks. We parked the quad and both sat on it (facing opposite directions) as I was showing her how to use a game call. After 6 call sequences I we heard the infamous "click" and a twig snap about 10-15 ft away from us in some very heavy brush (could not get eyes on but I knew there was a bruin close was just hoping it would be black in color). We waited about 5 minutes and gave another round on the game call. This time another critter was intrigued by the noise. It was a nice looking owl (not sure on type). Then no more than 2 minutes later the blackie rounded the bend with nose to the ground and ears up. He was about 85 yards out and heading away from us (wind was in our favor) as he crossed into more thick brush. I then gave 3 quick squalls on the call and watched as he did a 90 degree turn and came right towards us and turned broad side. I then switched my 30-06 to fire set my scope to x5 and lined up my shot. My wife was watching the whole thing unfold (her first experience with a blackie and first hunt ever). I set the cross hairs 1 inch behind the front shoulder and sent a single Winchester XP3 flying at 2800 FPS landing it right where I intended. The bear collapsed on the spot with a slight twitch of the legs for about 15 seconds and it was all over. He was hit solid in the heart and lungs. The first thing my wife wanted to do was to honk his "beak" because it looked "cute and wet" (sigh). After a few minutes of taking in the moments with the sun setting quickly behind us we fired up the winch and loaded it onto the front of the wheeler. It was a great feeling to ride out off the trail with a fair sized blackie who had been gorging himself on berries (noticed heavily in his skat). with my wife riding along grinning from ear to ear.

Sadly the hide was very well rubbed but the meat should taste wonderful (bear bacon is next on the menu).

He looks a bit smaller than he should in the photo (due to him being strapped down to the quad he should square around 5'2 - 5'4 maybe a tad bigger most likely around 3yrs old). We are just happy to have some more meat in the freezer as we have already gone through 2 bears this year and were nearly out of bear meat.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Love the story/pic. Your wife needs to become friends with my wife and rub off some of her outdoors attitude.

Interested in the berry statement. What kind of berries had it been eating? Are there any fresh berries at this time?
    Congrats on the success.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well done and thx for the story!
    I wonder how many black bear hunters do so by calling in AK? Sounds fun and a bit dangerous - especially in brown bear territory!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Wow ... Another awesome story.

Was nice chatting with you the other day. Thanks again for sharing.

thanks all,

Just woke up was a long night haha. The berries he was full off looked like huckleberries they were pink the area I was hunting does have quite a few berries around it but I am unsure what type they area. http://www.turtlepuddle.org/alaskan/wild/berries.html has some of the alaskan berries I will have to print and go back up a there to pinpoint them. They do look a lot like the "high brush cranberry" from the picture (really looked like huckleberries in the scat. light pink in color)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

as for the cub in distress calling. It seems to be working great for me for bringing in boars (2 boars downed in 2 days on the same call). After doing a bit of research and asking around, everyone I spoke to said if a boar hears a cub in distress he will come in to kill it (if it is on his turf) and you can also get sow's to come in. I so far have not successfully called a sow in yet but the two boars we have dropped this week both came running in within 20 minutes of calling. The funny thing was last night we were not even hidden when we called. We were in the wide open literally sitting back to back on the 4 wheeler when he came in. He did not seem to mind our scent at all. We had only been at the spot maybe 30-40 minutes tops.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Interested in the berry statement. What kind of berries had it been eating? Are there any fresh berries at this time?
    I was just up the Denali Highway at the 4000' mark and ate a handfull of low bush blueberries. Not enough to break out the ziplock. Found some crannberries too that were real close to being ripe.

looks like it was a great day to take a four wheller ride!!........congrats on the bear
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Who makes a cub in distress call? Or which call do you use?

you can buy them at sportsmans for around 12 bucks I know I bought 2 at the anch. sportsmans but they were the last 2 in stock maybe try palmer?