Thread: Kenai reds 101

Default Kenai reds 101

I'll have two visitors from the left-coast here the middle of next week. Would someone (kindly) recommend a spot on the Kenai River near Soldotna where they can walk the shoreline and possibly see and/or catch red salmon? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all, and the very best during your piscatorial endevors.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Soldotna Creek Park (on the left coming thru town by the Tesoro Station) has a nicely developed boardwalk,is very user freindly,and people do catch reds there.If the parking lot is full you can be sure the fish are there as well.

swiftwater campground is good.

i like moose range meadows......oh yeah and it is free if you get a spot to park.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I'll post an update when we get back.

We took our guests out to one of the suggested sites this morning. There were so many reds that even we, on our first visit, managed three fish apiece before we had to (reluctantly) leave for home. While we released all of our foul-hooked fish, and there were LOTS of those, I'm sorry to say that many of the "anglers" along the river quickly filled their ice-coolers with snagged fish and then rushed off. Sorry to see it, but to each their own .......

Thanks again for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by sfga11 View Post
    While we released all of our foul-hooked fish, and there were LOTS of those, I'm sorry to say that many of the "anglers" along the river quickly filled their ice-coolers with snagged fish and then rushed off. Sorry to see it, but to each their own .......

Wrong attitude, when someone is clearly "breaking the law" we need to confront them or call the LEO's with their license plate #. Change for the better doesn't come without a price. Dipschitt snaggers and double baggers need to be held accountable or they will continue to do it under your nose.

Glad to hear you and your guest's had a great trip, hope you can do it again soon!

Headed down tomorrow I WILL have phone and camera ready for snaggers or theifs and my 454 casull for the bears. I've had lots of stuff stolen from me while fishing including fish off my stringer and bank.

Quote Originally Posted by sfga11 View Post
    We took our guests out to one of the suggested sites this morning. There were so many reds that even we, on our first visit, managed three fish apiece before we had to (reluctantly) leave for home. While we released all of our foul-hooked fish, and there were LOTS of those, I'm sorry to say that many of the "anglers" along the river quickly filled their ice-coolers with snagged fish and then rushed off. Sorry to see it, but to each their own .......

what spot you try?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    i like moose range meadows......oh yeah and it is free if you get a spot to park.
    How do you get to Moose Range Meadows? Also, isn't there an area by the college off of Kalifornsky Beach road that has river access? Just trying to find alternatives to fish... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Wrong attitude, when someone is clearly "breaking the law" we need to confront them or call the LEO's with their license plate #. Change for the better doesn't come without a price. Dipschitt snaggers and double baggers need to be held accountable or they will continue to do it under your nose.

Glad to hear you and your guest's had a great trip, hope you can do it again soon!
    In past discussions, the subject of reporting these fisherman has come up ... and the need to hire more troopers has also come up. From a resource management perspective, I have not heard arguments that hiring more troopers would seem to significantly help improve the quality of runs when compared to the numbers of fish caught (and byctach) using commercial methods.

In context with the OP ... I can't dispute the fact that snagging is currently illegal on the river.... and from a public safety perspective (fishing in close quarters) with others, can understand why. I do understand that the Kenai has other species that also utilize the river (aka trout). And I've never quite understood why a spin casting rod with weights can be considered flyfishing (other than the regulations seem to alllow it).

However, with the frequency of snagged or flossed fish to the hooked in the mouth ones, I would like to see the regulations changed so that people could keep the snagged and flossed fish. When considering the F&G's usage of EO's to increase limits when the escapement is met, what negative impact is realized to the resource if a fisherman keeps 3 salmon that are hooked in the mouth versus releases ten 10 snagged/flossed salmon. But a fisherman catching a snagged fish does not make a fisherman the dreaded snag fisherman whereas, keeping the fish does.

I would think that a fisherman keeping 3 snagged ones (if snagging was legal) and the escapement was met would be a better alternative to resource management and our state's time/money than calling LEO everytime somebody clearly "breaks the law".

Grizzly: How many calls have you made or do you merely desire for others to do your busy work? Do you call LEO every time 1) you see somebody clearly breaking the law or just have it in for 2) those that keep too many fish or 3) those keep fish that we not caught in a legal manner.

Edit:
    Grizzly: OOps ... missed your statement about confronting them.... and I am all for confronting and educating them... or them educating me.

Wet eNuf--

Im still a newb and still learning all this stuff but would have to say I agree with you. Yesterday while fishin Bird Creek saw a couple fish snagged (not intentionally) but nonetheless they unhooked and released. But saw at least 3-4 that probably wont make it after the injury they got from the snag.....get your limit and walk away.

Wet-enuf makes a valid argument. I can dipnet them as a resident, commercial guys choke off the river and get 'em all, but people get upset if the fish is accidently snagged and kept. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Fishingyoda, sure hope you don't drive 1mph over the speed limit or someone should turn you in, take pics, confront you, and wave the 454 casull I guess, geesh!! I'm sure your intentions are good but educating the person on their errors goes alot further than being a narc in my book.
    It's just a fish, regardless of the means it was taken, a dead fish on your plate is a dead fish. I don't advocate breaking the rules but in the case of flossing a red and the hook is under the jaw or in a pectoral fin, I see no reason to release it when you just tuckered it out. After all, we go there to get meat for our family.
    Fished yesterday morning, 6 fish all in the mouth in less than an hour. Great day on the Kenai!!
    My thoughts.
    BK

Taking a co-worker down that has given me a short list of things to do before he deploys to Afghanistan in a couple of weeks (catch and grill up some fresh salmon, and play a round of golf.....so any info in the salmon department would be GREATLY appreciated! I know how to do the golf part

Heading down later tonight....hoping that there is a campsite I can get into.....if not then its truck camping for us!!

Only the 2nd time out at the Kenai and not sure where all these places people are talking about with exception of Swiftwater and Centennial.....are those producing? Thanks in advance for any help!! If you are down there this weekend send me a PM, hopefully we get a campsite, and there will be ice cold beer waiting!!

Fished this morning and got 14. It was great.

There will be fish there friend. don't worry.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.