Thread: Blue berries

Default Blue berries

Any one know of when and where to pick blue berries leaving from around the valley area?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanpogi View Post
    Any one know of when and where to pick blue berries leaving from around the valley area?
    Skyline Dr., above Eagle River, late August

starting at the top of the mountain mid way thru august, my berries here down low are all vivid green but won't be long
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Any thoughts about hatchers pass or maybe denali? My sister has an itch to go picking and I wanna save her some time and money, if anyone can provide insite on this topic. I really apperciate your experience and thoughts.

Not to rub it in, but the berries are ripe at sea level here. My back yard is full and the wife and I picked about a gallon zip full last night.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

There are lots of berries all over Hatchers Pass, mid to end of August seems to be the best time. I've picked them as early as the end of July and while they are blue they're still kinda bland. A bit later they'll ripen up and get nice and sweet. I have a few areas I like to pick but I've seen berry bushes just about everywhere I've ever hiked in the area. I also see lots of people picking right off the side of the road in the fall. Take a trip out there and hike in a bit off pretty much any trail and you'll find some.

I was out on the Denali Highway last September and picked blueberries, they were getting a bit overripe but still ok at that point. All you have to do to find them out there is step off the road.

I'm wanting to take my two little girls picking this year. Anyone ever have a bear encouter/problem when picking? Girls are bear educated but at the same time only 4 and 5.

Second thing, I was thinking around the 15th of August up off the Parks Hwy north of Cantwell? Does the timing sound about right. I drove up to Denali a couple years ago and there was a couple places that the low bush berries went for miles it seemed.

thanks

We drove the Denali last weekend. The berries are not ripe yet. Some areas even still had greenish berries. I would say another week or two and they should be good.

Just spoke to the folks who own the cabins up at Hatchers and I was told that the blueberries are ripe over 1600 ft. Also - Cantwell has already seen snow - they have been ripe up there for a few weeks now - especially around Broad Pass.

Picked @ 5 gallons or so last week across the bay from Homer.
    Not sure of the Valley area but where we were the highbush blueberries were huge this year and way more berries than we could ever dream of picking. We made one pie already and have some frozen that will probably be Jam/jelly and some other stuff.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They are looking pretty good up here in Fairbanks, I have gotten a gallon from the Murphy Dome area yesterday and a gallon today up the Steese Highway on US Creek Road without trying very hard. It is a good berry year up here and the high bush cranberries are all over as well.

Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

they were looking good around the valley up till a couple weeks ago, poof I think the rain pounded them off the stem because all the bushed areas I have harvested from in the past are bare
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I heard a news story that some type of leaf eating worm or caterpillar (gypsy moth?) was defoliating blueberry bushes as far north as Hatchers pass. They said dont be suprised if your normal picking areas are devoid of leaves (and berries)...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I heard a news story that some type of leaf eating worm or caterpillar (gypsy moth?) was defoliating blueberry bushes as far north as Hatchers pass. They said dont be suprised if your normal picking areas are devoid of leaves (and berries)...
    Yep, our normal areas around Eagle River are likely to be a bust this year, so we'll be traveling a bit farther for our winter supply. Uphill from our house it has looked like October all year long. Walking through alders that have no leaves at all in mid June is certainly a strange thing.

I am seeing the same thing. I wasn't sure why until I read this, thanks for the information guys.