Thread: Ummm.....a sharp tailed grouse in Anchorage?

Default Ummm.....a sharp tailed grouse in Anchorage?

OK....I know that sharp tails do not live in Anchorage. Or, at least I thought I knew that.

But riding my bicycle home a couple of days ago through a semi-open area in SW Anchorage, I flushed a family group of....well, grouse. I looked at the female from about 10 feet....she didn't flush. I immediately thought sharp tailed grouse....but consulting the range map in my brain, I immediately rejected that.

But she had the familiar top crest of the STG, and a longish whitish tail. Not very ruffed grousy in the tail department, and the color seemed more STGish than RGish.

Could have been a ring-necked pheasant, but the head just didn't look right, and the tail just didn't seem right either.

What do you think, guys? Could this possibly have been a sharp-tail? If not....any other ideas?

Thanks....​David
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

David, can't say anything about the grouse, but it's good to see you around here again.

Interesting observation. Sharp-tailed grouse continue to move further north all the time, so I suppose there 's no reason to think they wouldn't move south as well. Wildlife, if given the opportunity, will do whatever pleases them. You certainly know what a sharptail looks like so we will assume that's exactly what you saw.You now have a good excuse to return to the area with camera in hand!Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    David, can't say anything about the grouse, but it's good to see you around here again.
    Thanks.

I wish the rest of life permitted more time here....but it is what it is for right now.

​David
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com