Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water purifiers??

Default Water purifiers??

What water purifier's do you use for sheep hunts?

I use two different filters a MSR Hyperflow it is a great backpack filter, comes with an adapter that replaces the lid on a standard nalgene bottle and the end fits into regular throw away water bottles making it very EZ to use. The filter design is much easier to pump and requires much less effort than other pump type filters I have tried.

However, the Katadyn Base Camp filter is the cats behind for base camp and multiple users. Just fill it and let gravity do all the work. It also holds a lot of water and I often fill it and throw it in my pack and climb to base camp. One trick to make the filters last longer is to wrap a drip coffee filter around the filter and secure with a rubber band. If the water is heavy with particulates, I often use a bucket or plastic lined hole as a settling pond and filter after the water has settled.

Have fun

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have used the Katadyn Steve mentioned and like he said Cats .... meow! I also use a MSR Water Works tat fits my Nalgene bottle. Both are light enough and can be used to produce more than enough water for a hunt trip.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I use the Katatdyn hiker pro, it fills up my 3ltr camelback in about 2 minutes. It's small and light, easy to throw in the pack.

Aqua Mira...never had a problem and no weight issues. You can find this stuff in Anchorage AMH.

I have NEVER, ever filtered or purified any water in Alaska.......Never. And never been sick in 42 years of drinking out of creeks and lakes. (I did have a cold/flu back in 1986). Where I live now I have been drinking (Untreated water) out of the same creek for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have NEVER, ever filtered or purified any water in Alaska.......Never. And never been sick in 42 years of drinking out of creeks and lakes. (I did have a cold/flu back in 1986). Where I live now I have been drinking (Untreated water) out of the same creek for 12 years.
    I am with you! I've never filtered water sheep hunting at all. My niece just got married and I wanted to get something that they can use and they wanted a water purifier. Their honeymoom will be spent hunting sheep in the TMA where he drew an early season tag! Great honeymoon if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by MT_SLDR View Post
    I use the Katatdyn hiker pro, it fills up my 3ltr camelback in about 2 minutes. It's small and light, easy to throw in the pack.
    My favorite as well

http://www.rei.com/CompareProduct/User?storeId=8000

Pretty interesting comparison from REI. I am looking for a new base camp filter. This Sawyer is looking pretty good. Fast filtering down to .1 micron verses .3 for the Katadyn and .2 for the platypus. It is a little bulkier than the K. Base camp but might be worth it, since it is faster and filters much smaller material.
    I never worried about water, until last year :-)
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    My favorite as well
    In my pack too.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks guys, got enough information to get one ordered for them! I am excited for them on their TMA sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Thanks guys, got enough information to get one ordered for them! I am excited for them on their TMA sheep hunt.
    Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
    What did you finally end up going with?

Katadyn hiker pro for them.

Check out this cool link for the do it yourselfer on a budget.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ityFilter.html

Steve
    Founding Member

I don't know if I got immune to it or if it just wasn't bad water, but I drink water outta creeks and lakes all the time and never get sick. one time I did get sick form a lake with muskrats and beavers in it, and almost died the doctors said, means how I was already sick. But after that I've drank outta creeks and rivers and lakes and never got sick.

On a sheep hunt, I assum your gonna be in the mountains. and if you find your self a nice little creek runnin through the rocks, all clear and nice, I'd hike up it a ways (don't forget your gun, cause it could be a watering hole)and make sure there isn't any dead animals in it and whatnot, and have at it. mountain streams the best water I've ever drank.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I don't know if I got immune to it or if it just wasn't bad water, but I drink water outta creeks and lakes all the time and never get sick. one time I did get sick form a lake with muskrats and beavers in it, and almost died the doctors said, means how I was already sick. But after that I've drank outta creeks and rivers and lakes and never got sick.

On a sheep hunt, I assum your gonna be in the mountains. and if you find your self a nice little creek runnin through the rocks, all clear and nice, I'd hike up it a ways (don't forget your gun, cause it could be a watering hole)and make sure there isn't any dead animals in it and whatnot, and have at it. mountain streams the best water I've ever drank.

Having had Giardia before and having had a surgery that prevents me from being able to vomit, I'm overly cautious. I used to think that high mountain water sources were pristine and safe, that is until I found a dead sheep in one further up stream. I also found sheep dropping in these type sources.

The year before on my sheep hunt I discovered were another human had took a dump near the stream, well I think it was a human unless bears have started using TP to wipe when done.

To each their own, but I filter, chemically purify or boil.

Just a small rant, I hate those that I call surface crappers. Really how hard is it to scratch out a hole or cover your crap with rocks. You never know where that fly that just landed on your lunch or game meat was before it found your lunch or meat.

Drank a belly full in this photo only to discover huge piles of sheep poop upstream.

Few drops of bleach weighs almost nothing. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!!!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Having had Giardia before and having had a surgery that prevents me from being able to vomit, I'm overly cautious. I used to think that high mountain water sources were pristine and safe, that is until I found a dead sheep in one further up stream. I also found sheep dropping in these type sources.

The year before on my sheep hunt I discovered were another human had took a dump near the stream, well I think it was a human unless bears have started using TP to wipe when done.

To each their own, but I filter, chemically purify or boil.

Just a small rant, I hate those that I call surface crappers. Really how hard is it to scratch out a hole or cover your crap with rocks. You never know where that fly that just landed on your lunch or game meat was before it found your lunch or meat.

Drank a belly full in this photo only to discover huge piles of sheep poop upstream.

Few drops of bleach weighs almost nothing. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!!!!!

Steve
    Good point. I never thought of that (I guess thats why we listen to old timers, huh?) in dirty lakes I boil, for 5 minutes, 10 minutes if time permits I think I might start doing that with creek water too, now that you brought that point up. did you get sick from the water in the picture? As for finding hte dead sheep, that is why I suggested hiking well up stream first
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Good point. I never thought of that (I guess thats why we listen to old timers, huh?) in dirty lakes I boil, for 5 minutes, 10 minutes if time permits I think I might start doing that with creek water too, now that you brought that point up. did you get sick from the water in the picture? As for finding hte dead sheep, that is why I suggested hiking well up stream first
    No I got Giardia while deployed. No matter how far you hike up, unless you find it coming out of the ground, there is always water open to contamination.

Sheep hunting and water is always a battle,, do I carry all that water weight or hope I can find a source up high. In that photo we, as often happens ended up spotting sheep and climbed higher and further than expected and after a while you will drink about anything. Lucky it worked out that time.

WOW, I'm an old timer?? I thought King had that title, wonder if I can get a discount at Denny's???
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    No I got Giardia while deployed. No matter how far you hike up, unless you find it coming out of the ground, there is always water open to contamination.

Sheep hunting and water is always a battle,, do I carry all that water weight or hope I can find a source up high. In that photo we, as often happens ended up spotting sheep and climbed higher and further than expected and after a while you will drink about anything. Lucky it worked out that time.

WOW, I'm an old timer?? I thought King had that title, wonder if I can get a discount at Denny's???
    I ment you being an old timer as a good thing, like, you know a lot

steripen. weighs 6 oz's, treats a gal in 6 min.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast