Thread: Copper River currently scheduled to be closed July 18-20...plan accordingly

Default Copper River currently scheduled to be closed July 18-20...plan accordingly

Unless an EO changes things, the Copper River is closed July 18-20 (Monday-Wednesday). Opens 12:01AM on the 21st.

I know a lot of us are planning for that week, and if that holds up it is going to effect my plans a bit, anyway. Just wanted to give the heads up to anyone that was expecting the typical full-week opening like I was.

Thanks to MLilly for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Unless an EO changes things, the Copper River is closed July 18-20 (Monday-Wednesday). Opens 12:01AM on the 21st.

I know a lot of us are planning for that week, and if that holds up it is going to effect my plans a bit, anyway. Just wanted to give the heads up to anyone that was expecting the typical full-week opening like I was.

Thanks to MLilly for the reminder.
    Can you post a link for this info, I just called Hem's recording, he says river is closed Midnight Sunday the 17th - reopen noon Tues 19th.

I am planning on the 20th.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theKids View Post
    Can you post a link for this info, I just called Hem's recording, he says river is closed Midnight Sunday the 17th - reopen noon Tues 19th.

I am planning on the 20th.

Thanks
    Actually, they did just issue a new EO, changing the opening to the 19th. You'll be fine to keep your plans for the 20th. Also, although it's not mentioned or announced officially yet, according to Mark Somerville, there will be a supplemental period (giving you an extra 10 fish) the week of the 25th. Not sure if that matters to you or not, but keep it in mind.

Thanks for reminding me to update this. View the whole thing here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1516&year=2011

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    Cora Campbell, Commissioner

DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
    Charles O. Swanton, Director
    Mark Somerville
    UCUS Area Management Biologist
    Phone: 907-822-3309
    July 13, 2011
    AMENDMENT TO THE 2011 COPPER RIVER PERSONAL USE DIP NET SALMON FISHING SCHEDULE
    The Chitina Subdistrict will open from noon on Tuesday, July 19 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, July 24. There will be no supplemental harvest during this fishing period. This announcement does not change the seventh opening of the Chitina Subdistrict, which will remain at 05:00 p.m., Monday, July 11 until 11:59 p.m., Sunday, July 17.
    The Chitina Subdistrict Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishery is closed to the retention of king salmon for the remainder of the 2011 season. King salmon incidentally taken may not be retained and must be released immediately and returned to the water unharmed.
    As a reminder, the Copper River Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishery Management Plan and the Statewide Personal Use Fishing Regulations, as amended by 2011 Emergency Orders, state that:
    • The seasonal bag limit is a total of 15 salmon for a household of one, and 30 salmon for a household of two or more.
    • Personal use fishermen must possess both their Chitina Personal Use fishery permit and a valid resident sport fishing license when fishing.
    • Steelhead and king salmon cannot be kept, and must be returned to the water unharmed.
    • When a harvestable surplus of 50,000 salmon or greater will be present in the Chitina Subdistrict, by emergency order, a supplemental permit for 10 additional sockeye salmon will be issued to Chitina Subdistrict personal use permit holders.
    • Harvest must be recorded on the permit immediately.
    • The tips of the tail of personal use caught fish must be clipped immediately upon landing a fish.
    • Immediately is defined as before concealing the salmon from plain view or transporting the salmon from the fishing site. Fishing site means the location where the fish was removed from the water and became part of the permit holder’s bag limit.
    During June 27 – July 3, there were 64,832 salmon counted past the Miles Lake sonar. The preseason projection for this period was 45,751 salmon, which results in a surplus of 19,081 salmon. Copper River sockeye salmon migratory timing and the previous five-year average harvest and participation rates indicate sufficient numbers of salmon to justify 132 hours of fishing time during the week of July 18 – July 24, which is an increase of 39 hours over the preseason schedule.