Thread: Anchor Question

Default Anchor Question

I have a new 20' Alaskan XL and am wondering when fishing in a lake what size anchor does other users with same boat use or what would be recommeded.... for a good lake and river anchor

Anybody use a anchor at all....what is the best one for lakes and rivers, also what weight would be enough?

Any anchor will work in a lake. River anchor size and style depends on the river. Look at what some experienced guys are using for the rivers you plan on using. You need a good anchor and enough line to stop and hold you in case the motor quits. Drifting into a snaggy sweeper isn't something you want to do.

I would look into an anchor called the Kenai River anchor or as some people call them the RL river anchor. Not sure if they sell them in Fairbanks but we get them at Trustworthy in Soldotna.
    These are a single fluke anchor that hold well on rivers like the Kenai.
    They make 2 sizes to choose from. The smaller one would work good on the lakes and probably do ok on the rivers but you might want a bigger one for the faster rivers.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The only two anchors I like are the Bruce or Danforth Style anchors. You can get the knock off brands but same style for cheap. For your size boat, you need an 11 pound Bruce or 9 pound Danforth. I see your in Anchorage so not familiar with your stores but Deweys in Anchorage will have a Bruce for under 50 bucks, they have been marked down and west marine sells the Danforth Knock Offs. Make sure you use some chain, and If your gonna hit the ocean recommend 1 foot of chain for 1 foot of boat. Up on the Slope, our River Boats and Airboats use a Danforth Anchor and I run a Bruce on my boat. Both will hold fine in almost any condition.

www.slideanchor.com

I got a large sized box anchor from these guys and have been nothing but impressed. The first test for the box anchor was in Lake Creek last summer. The anchor hooked up quick and held our 23' Wooldridge with no slipping the entire weekend. The anchor has worked well on the Salcha as well which is a gravel bottom stream with a fairly swift current.

Last weekend we had quite a wind storm at the lake and I had the Wooldridge out there that night. The waves and wind ripped loose the mooring from the mud bottom, I grabbed the box anchor, attached the rope to it and threw it overboard. It held no problem the rest of the evening through pounding waves.

The first thing I really like about it is the elimination of chain, I just hook the rope up with a carabiner directly to the anchor and toss it over. The second is that it folds up flat and fits into a bag for easy storage for when I'm on a lake and don't need that substantial of an anchor.

It may be worth a try, it's a little spendy, but the added fatures make up for it IMO. It has served my needs quite well.