Thread: Four years old and 5 miles an issue?

Default Four years old and 5 miles an issue?

Found an '07 Yamaha 450 on C/L for $6000 obo and wanted to get the general consensus about a machine with such low miles. Guy bought it, backed it into his garage and it sat since. Says it has 5 miles on it.

I figure this can't be good. 3-4 years of gaskets and seals drying out, dead batt, etc... Is this an issue or a good deal?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2487114208.html

Tim

I saw that also... I figured I'd stay away from the possible dryed out seals and gaskets, and the laquer'd up carburator, saturated fuel bowl float, etc. that guy still has his price set about 2G too high... he might get it, not from me.
    (course most everyone on C-list thinks they have a gold nugget for sale)

In 2008 I purchased a 400 Kodiak 4x4 with 500 miles for $3200. I wouldn't worry about "dried up seals" though s carb cleaning may be needed. $6k!!??? I paid 5k for a 2006 loaded out 700 AC 4x4 with 250 miles on it in 2009. The price is a gross overestimation of the quads value.

Intuition told me that low miles is a good thing but that was too low. Glad someone else felt the same way. I'd love a machine with low miles and a plow but I thought one single digit is a little low.

Tim

Default walk away

If you're going to deal with him, do a blue book on it and tell'm you're sorry he might lose money, but you can't make his end right. And that his non-use has hurt, not helped the machine.

Awhile back I got a Grizz 700 just one or less year old off CL with less than 200 miles on it, complete with trailer for a little bit more than you're talking.

I'd let it go.

Is it possible to buy a used machine and still be able to buy a factory warranty? I've seen a few descent Grizzly's ('08-'09) and was wondering if its still possible to get a 1-2 year warranty from Yamaha. Wondering if anyone knew anything about that?

I'll call Yammi tomorrow, I suppose.

Tim

I have been looking for one myself, and have come to the conclusion that a new one may be the best deal. The ones I have looked at where low on oil or air filter caked with dirt, (looked like dry mud,) bearings shot, are just worn out. Seems like people just don't take care of there rides very well. Most all are well over priced even with extras. A used winch (ect) is used and not worth full price I don't care if it only has 250 miles on the machine.

YES you can purchase a "warrenty" for a "used" yamaha wheeler... They are a tad spendy(er) than purchasing a warranty extension (for a machine still on an existing new-purchase-warranty) And they only cover "WEAR" items.
    REF: AK house of Yamaha, Big Lake

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Is it possible to buy a used machine and still be able to buy a factory warranty? I've seen a few descent Grizzly's ('08-'09) and was wondering if its still possible to get a 1-2 year warranty from Yamaha. Wondering if anyone knew anything about that?

I'll call Yammi tomorrow, I suppose.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    I have been looking for one myself, and have come to the conclusion that a new one may be the best deal. The ones I have looked at where low on oil or air filter caked with dirt, (looked like dry mud,) bearings shot, are just worn out. Seems like people just don't take care of there rides very well. Most all are well over priced even with extras. A used winch (ect) is used and not worth full price I don't care if it only has 250 miles on the machine.
    I'd like to buy new but I can't afford a $10,000 6x6. Found a beautiful clean one on CL for $8000 but haven't decided if I want to fork it out. 200 miles and nearly immaculate, with tracks I'll never use, etc...Maybe better than buying one that needs work. Looked at an '02 with a reasonable price, but it obviously needs chains and brakes. Nearly talked myself into a new 4-wheeler, but I want a 6x6 so I'm still looking. Love to find a descent one for a reasonable price.

Tim

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I'd like to buy new but I can't afford a $10,000 6x6. Found a beautiful clean one on CL for $8000 but haven't decided if I want to fork it out. 200 miles and nearly immaculate, with tracks I'll never use, etc...Maybe better than buying one that needs work. Looked at an '02 with a reasonable price, but it obviously needs chains and brakes. Nearly talked myself into a new 4-wheeler, but I want a 6x6 so I'm still looking. Love to find a descent one for a reasonable price. TimTim
    Watch cl like a hawk...and know what you are looking for and what it is worth. I have scored two awesome deals on there in the last year...a wheeler and most recently a trailer. A few years ago my buddy and I took it really bad and I now have a very expensive sled with a rebuilt engine (including crank and pistons). We got double screwed with another cl find of a backyard mechanic who tore it down, then bailed on putting it back together and "lost" a bunch of parts. I rebuilt it last winter after many purchases on ebay of parts I didn't have. I use my mobile device to browse often and when something looks good, I jump on it and call. Most sellers will honor first come, first serve (although cash money as in the case of the trailer will bump you up the list of callers most likely). You HAVE to know what it is worth and what it will cost to repair if you go that route. I have seen dozens and dozens of rip offs. Kelly Blue Book is good too for looking up value. That being said, killer deals are to be found if one is patient. The other thing to watch for is hot items. A conversation with the seller with a few key questions will usually sniff this out. If it smells bad or looks like it was rode into the ground, walk away. Just my two coppers.

'Come-on 6K for a four year old machine??? You got to be kidding. I know it's a Yami but how much is a 2011 450?? You can get a 2011 450 Popo for under 6K from HP Polaris. Bet you can get a deal on a Yami from Big Lake Yamaha too. 4K or less it might be a deal but any more and it's not a good deal for you - just for the seller.

$6900 new for a 450. $6400 for a 2010 at Anchor Yami. Sounds like Anchor yami has "set-up fees" and charges for winch install.

Tim