Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune a circle hook ???

Default Tune a circle hook ???

Has anyone tried to tune a circle (halibut) hook? I was wondering if you took and bend the sharp end of the hook a 1/4" TO 1/2" to the side of the main shank, would this help with hook up. I'm always trying to get the upper hand on this fishing thing. So what do you think? Has anyone tried it?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I have done the exact thing in hopes of improving hook-ups. I think it works; but I do not get out much to halibut fish to say for certain or as to or far works best to bend it out. I've heard good things about placing a large spinner blade in front of the hook too.

There was some discussion about this last winter and if I recall, the consensus was that it works. It allows the hook to "turn the corner" on the bigger fish, too. I have been doing it this season and seem to have more hook ups.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It definetly works great.
    Next time you have a Halibut in the boat try putting a canted and an uncanted hook into it's mouth and pull. You will notice the canted hook catches much better.
    I like to stick the point half into a bench vise and put a small piece of pipe onto the eye pulling sideways until I have the desired cant I want.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Okay I'm going to tune a few and see if I can tell a difference. I was playing around with one last night and they sure bend easier than I thought they would. These were some hooks from Trustworthy.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Does anyone manufacture offset circles? I haven't really seen them on the market, and it makes me wonder if it works as well as some claim, why aren't they a factory option?

Quote Originally Posted by nitroshrew View Post
    Does anyone manufacture offset circles? I haven't really seen them on the market, and it makes me wonder if it works as well as some claim, why aren't they a factory option?
    I am not sure who makes them but yes they do sell commercially made offset hooks. I will look next time I am in the store.
    The commercially made ones I have seen don't have a large cant or offset to them but they are offset if you look at one up close.
    Some of the commercially made standard circle hooks have the point way to close to the shank IMHO. Offsetting or canting the hook as we call it gives more space between point and shank for the fish to get hooked on. The offset makes them more like a corkscrew if that makes sense.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Mustad makes them. They work awesome.
    BK

I do the same as Kasilofchrisn. A vise and a piece of pipe. And I have definitly seen an advantage with the bend in the hook.
    I had 9 hookups in 11 bites, while my buddy with his "un-tuned" only had three hook-ups out of 13 bites. One of the bites he missed bent the rod down almost two feet and was really going- then it was GONE.

Chris

I offset mine and had better hookups. The hardest part is to NOT set the hook, just let it do its work.

This might sound stupid, but is there any reason a circle hook can't be used when either mooching or trolling for salmon? I just wonder if it would be more effective when the salmon hits the surface and starts tossing its head, because I've seen too many fish throw the hook at that point before getting close enough to net them. Anyone use circle hooks for salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    This might sound stupid, but is there any reason a circle hook can't be used when either mooching or trolling for salmon? I just wonder if it would be more effective when the salmon hits the surface and starts tossing its head, because I've seen too many fish throw the hook at that point before getting close enough to net them. Anyone use circle hooks for salmon?
    The problem with trolling is that it would yank a circle hook right out of their mouth. The way they work is sort of counter-intuitive to anyone used to setting hooks. If you jerk them, they come out because they have to gradually turn to get the tip to drive in. I could see them working mooching if you let the fish eat for a few seconds and then don't jerk to set the hook but just solidly lift the rod.

Which brings me to these, which I'm thinking of trying this year on silvers:

5114-B&R.gif
    http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/prod...irclehooks.htm

They are thinner and not quite as radical a circle as normal circle hooks. Seems like they might do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...130&highlight=
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

You can buy commercial grade offset circle hooks on ebay. They have a particular type which also degrades rapidly. If I remember right they were available in 16/0 and 20/0 size. I have used a number of the 16/0 and they work great. Remember to sharpen them

I have used them with great success for kings

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    The problem with trolling is that it would yank a circle hook right out of their mouth. The way they work is sort of counter-intuitive to anyone used to setting hooks. If you jerk them, they come out because they have to gradually turn to get the tip to drive in. I could see them working mooching if you let the fish eat for a few seconds and then don't jerk to set the hook but just solidly lift the rod.

Which brings me to these, which I'm thinking of trying this year on silvers:

5114-B&R.gif
    http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/prod...irclehooks.htm

They are thinner and not quite as radical a circle as normal circle hooks. Seems like they might do the job.

The offset circle hooks are illegal in the Gulf of Mexico, likely because they work better.

offset circle hooks large size 12 / 16 / 20 I have made them from the non offset big vise an big tools an be carfull it is very tuff steel in the hooks but it can be dun I a sure you SID
    less fish get away with the offset hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    The offset circle hooks are illegal in the Gulf of Mexico, likely because they work better.
    Likely because they gut hook more fish. More offset = more gut hooking.

Big_E

it could happen but you could not prove it by me, not in the fish I caught [ not that many ] only a few not a good fisherman
    SID :

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    Likely because they gut hook more fish. More offset = more gut hooking.
    Huh. In 30 years with offset circles, I've never gut-hooked a halibut or anything else up here on offset circles. Probably has something to do with differences in the fish, rather than any claim it doesn't happen.

I will say I got a deal on a bunch of flat Eagle Claw circles about a decade back. Thought I'd really scored until I took them fishing.... Can't recall hooking a single fish on them. Halibut could inhale them and blow them out like a kid spitting watermelon seeds. Gave a handful to a friend to try on his subsistence longline, and he alternated gangions with Mustad for a trial. He never caught a halibut on the flat circles, while the offset continued to produce.

I stood at the vise with a big pliers and fixed that nonsense. I've bought offset Mustads ever since, and price no object.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast