Thread: 308 on montague

Default 308 on montague

I know im ganna get some heat from this question but was looking for advice on bullets to use for my winchester 308 semi auto on montague next fall. I would normally carry my 338 when hunting in brown bear territory but my grandfather recently passed away and left me several of his guns one in wich was his favorite the 308 he killed a lot of elk with it in oregon. would like to take it with me in his honor to hunt deer this fall can anyone one recomend a good bullet that might do some damage if I did have to protect myself from a brownie. I will be hunting with partners with bigger rifles. Anyone have experiences with takeing down brownies with a 308.
    Looking for a good bullet to take with me.
    Thanks

Shooting an unsuspecting brown bear with a 308 is one thing...but using a 308 for brown bear attack defense is a whole different ball game. If you persist, then it is generally agreed that Barnes bullets penetrate as good as any and better than most. I would recomment at least a 180 gr but prob not more than their 200 gr. from your 308. Montague Island bears have a reputation for having a significant attitude...which frequently is reflected in their demonstrating their position in the food chain..."Know what I mean Vern?"

I took my 7x57 with 140 Noslers to Montague a couple times. I was going for deer, not bear. I guess if a bear had come up, I'd have been wishin' I had the .338, but I woulda still fought back anyway!

And, I'll probably continue to use that rifle..or maybe my .25-06 for deer. I take the rifle for the critter I'm going for, not necessarily for the one that might come after me; maybe not the best idea...and If i end up as bear food with a "pea-shooter" in my hands, y'all can say "we told him he was an idiot".

In a .308 I'd probably use a 165 Partition. Good for deer, better than your fingernails against a bear.

If you have someone with you with a bear gun, your .308 will be just fine there. I would HIGHLY recommend you use a good bullet, such as a Nosler Partition, in 150 or 165 grains. A 180 in a .308 works, but is not optimum for this round.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thumbs down 308 Win

Love the 308 Win but around big bears I would fill a little underguned...............for safety sake and your partner sake carry a bigger gun!.......I woul draw the line @ 30-06 with 180-200 gr Nosler Part. or Barnes TSX.

Remember often that when bears hear a shot that is a dinner bell...........for them!
    Alaska

Default Ammo

Before you decide what bullet to shoot in the rifle be sure the rifle will shoot it. Some .308 rifles have a 1 in 12"twist which is not optimum for long heavy bullets in the 308 however 30-06 normally has a 1-10 twist and likes longer bullets than the 308. you might try some different bullet types before you decide on the ideal bullet. Good Luck...!!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm assuming you handload, I'd opt for a 168 barnes triple shock. It'll handle deer and bears.

I know folks like to carry the biggest possible gun for bears, and I've been there too, but honestly the .308 has more than enough power to dispatch any bear with proper shot placement, and the biggest gun doesn't have enough power to make up for lack of shot placement.

I hunted Montague with a 350 rigby magnum that weighed about 10#'s, and I really, really wished I'd brought my 7# .308.

Id roll what ever shoots well in that 308. And act accordingly in bear country. Youll be fine. Maybe bring a can of spray?

I used to be worried all the time about bringing the biggest rifle, now I just bring the one I can shoot well and act accordingly in bear country, no problems for me (knock on wood)

Plus you got semi auto! If it was reliable enough, Id about rather have that then a 375 H&H that I couldnt work the action right under stress.

Bootom line dont stress it. Worry about the friggen rain!