Thread: sportjet emergency- need help!!

Default sportjet emergency- need help!!

I was boating the river yesterday and, after stopping for a minute at idle in the middle of the river, I gave it some throttle and no power- nothing. the motor would rev up, but no power aT ALL. I jumped on the stomp grate several times to clear any obstruction and that didn't help. in short I had to be towed back to the launch. I checked my pump and engine at home. It starts fine, but idles high at about 2000 rpms- just like after the incident. I looked over the pump and engine to see if there were any obstuctions, but nothing. I turned on the engine at idle and the impeller doesn't even turn!!!! could it be a gear stripped, etc. once again the engine turns over fine, but the impeller doens't even turn. no problems like this have ever happened to me before and there were no big hits or anything that caused this. it's baffling why it would even happen! what do you all think happened?? what could it be???? I need help and need to know someone in the anchorage area that could fix it. i get the feeling it could be a pricey fix!?

I have never had a SJ apart, but my outboard jet has a shear pin, not sure if the SJ does or not. It is a direct drive system and the reverse bucket blocks the flow when in neutral. Your high idle is a result of no load on the engine, because it is no longer has the load from the turning impeller.

Lots of SJ users out there, so I'm sure someone will speak up soon.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Could be a broken pump input shaft.

SJ Broke Suff 1.jpg

Talking

I'd pull your pump apart (not very difficult at all) and check out the impellor/sleeve. Possibly even pull the impellor off (Which can be a bit of a PIA if it hasn't been done before). Although on a brighter note, if your problem is like the one pictured above, your impellor will come out very easily. Pull your manual out and it will walk you through the procedure. You may have to drop the stomp grate and slide a bar up in there behind your impellor to then hammer it off. I'm thinking you'll discover the problem before even getting to this, but if not, you'll know where the problem doesn't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    Could be a broken pump input shaft.

SJ Broke Suff 1.jpg
    Kevin, what happened there? Looks like it's been cut off.

If memory serves, the factory aluminum grate took a direct hit and one of the grate bars became lodged in the pump.

SJ Broke Stuff 3.jpgSJ Broke Stuff 2.jpg

Wow, that's pretty impressive!

ok, I pulled the housing and impeller as well. i couldn't isolate the problem. I did put the impeller on and turned it to see of the engine turned (by the bolt on the top of the engine ) and it didn't. the impeller turned very freely when it was on the threads with very little resistancce and it wasn't causing hte engine to turn at all. i yanked back and forth on the impeller shaft to see if there was any play and there was none. what next and who in anchorage could fix it??

Call Mike at Performance Marine on Potter.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

sounds like you blew the gears or broke a shaft. You will need to pull the motor and drop the pump dissasemble the pump.

Or Ben at Silver Streak Boats