Thread: Glock 10mm or .44 S&W 629?

Default Glock 10mm or .44 S&W 629?

I am torn between these two pistols. I am looking for a bear (brown) protection gun that I can take fishing, hiking, and hunting. I know the 10mm is a pretty good general weapon and the .44 packs a mean punch. But, is the glock worth having if a brown bear is charging? 16 rounds is nice but will I use them all? .44 is nice and am aware that its a stronger pistol. The glock is lighter and easier to shoot. But would it be affective? What do you think, 10mm or .44?

If you can hit where you should then you won't need the Glock firepower. It may come down to how confident you are in placing your shots. For me if I can get 10 well placed rounds of 10 mm into the bear in the same time it will take to get 3 well placed from the 44 Mag...it may be a wash, but remember how fast a bear really is and how far away the bear will be when you realize it is a threat and you make up you mind to shoot....maybe then it is reaction time that is important and not so much the gun you carry. Same is true of 2 legged critters.

All I know for sure (100% for sure), is that I have fewer FTE or FTF with a wheel gun. That said, I still take my Kimber 10MM on many hikes per week. Remember you have a much higher chance of being Mauled in a head-on vehicle crash, than getting "Nibbled" by a fuzzy thing.

Default How about a 329 PD?

If weight is an issue as you as you indicate why not carry a S&W 329 PD?

300+ gr. hard cast bullets in .44 mags have a good reputation and you can't beat the 25 oz weight for a powerfull carry gun. Nothing else in the pistol world comes close in power and reliability.

Not easy to shoot for multiple shots with full power loads but .44 Specs are find for practice and the first shot is most often the one that counts according to most reports.

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    I am torn between these two pistols. I am looking for a bear (brown) protection gun that I can take fishing, hiking, and hunting. I know the 10mm is a pretty good general weapon and the .44 packs a mean punch. But, is the glock worth having if a brown bear is charging? 16 rounds is nice but will I use them all? .44 is nice and am aware that its a stronger pistol. The glock is lighter and easier to shoot. But would it be affective? What do you think, 10mm or .44?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Wheel gun for me because I trust it to bang and I donít want to wonder if I have enough that one hit will do the dead but you ain't me. 10mm is very marginal for browns but will do fine on blacks, moose, or man . . . moose or man are the usual more likely foes. Ammo in ether gun is key, you want the widest flat nosed heaviest hard cast bullet . . . no JSP/ JHP/FMJ people ammo out in the woods. You got to make your own choice beyond that, some like me pick both for different times but mostly a big 460 wheel gun in bear season. But itís your hide on the line and your abilities, preferences, where you go, what you do there are the bigger factors in picking the gun for you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How many threads still going on the handgun forum

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...mm-auto-enough
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Kimber 10mm hands down. It's that simple... Chance's are you'll need it for home defense/self defense from humans. I've been around a lot of bears, and not once did they act up. People on the other hand... If the Kimber is not in your budget then I'd go with the G20 using 220gr TMJ. Those rounds penetrate unbelievably well.