Thread: Tatered a Leki last night.

Default Tatered a Leki last night.

I was doing a little hiking up in Hatcher's Pass last night. I was crossing a small rotten snowfield that was covering some boulders. About the time I was thinking "how bad would it suck if I fell through" the snow gave and I must have fallen in a nice hole. I went about waist deep and my right foot caught the side of a boulder while my left was dangling in the unseen void. Unfortunately my left trekking pole took the brunt of my 250 pounds feeling the effects of gravity and tacoed. I have not been pleased with the poles as they are twist lock and seem to have too much flex when I need them most. Especially when coming down steep slopes. I bought them from SAC so they were a good deal. I am glad I broke em now and not in September. So how about a recommendation for a light and strong pole?

Black diamond with the flick lock. I have the aluminum contour poles but there are many others to suite your preferences. I am 250 plus and mine have survived with no issues and that includes several heavy meat hauls of 120 + lbs. An added bonus is that the flick lock will let you remove one lower section and insert the tip of the other pole and lock down to make a very long sturdy tent pole. I use it that way to hold up my golite teepee's.

What LuJon said. I have the same poles but in carbon fiber. They're light, strong, and have saved my butt many times.

+1 on BD trekking poles. I went sheep hunting with brother and dad last year who both had cheaper Leki poles with the twist lock system. Guess who had no issues with his poles......yep me! If you're going to go with a telescoping trek pole look no further than BD Flick Lock System, you won't be disappointed.

I own the cork handled carbons but this year BD came out with a Z-Pole you may want to check out. Looks pretty awesome!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...-trekking-pole

RC

I've had a pair of bd trecking poles for a few years, and really like them. That said, when we hiked crow pass last year I managed to slip on some gumbo and bent one of the poles. I was able to straighten it out, and I can mostly collapse it now.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have the BD carbon flintlocks, Life-link anti shocks and Leki anti shocks.

The BDs are light but they are too long from the factory for anyone who wants to collapse one for the high hand side while sidehill hiking. I'll probably cut one down (shorten the inner pole for more collapse) for such occasions.

The flint locks are great, but the poles lack antishock and that feature is great on the wrists when packing on the miles. Antishock also really helps to spring a guy out of a low spot with meat on the back.

The Lekis remain my faves....
    Proud to be an American!