Thread: Commercial fleet out?

Default Commercial fleet out?

Does any one know when the commercial fleet is scheduled to be out this year in Kenai. Also, does anyone have the # to call to get this info.
    Thanks in advance, Greg.

Subscribe here for Commercial Fishing News Releases:

http://newsrelease.adfg.alaska.gov/i...tion=subscribe

~tr

F&G website is down... Better wait a day or so
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Ya, I saw that this morning. Does anyone have the phone# written down by chance?

267-2512 for the Upper Cook Inlet info

Great, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

No problem.

We're all keeping an eye on things at this point, I think.

F&G is back up.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    F&G is back up.
    You're the master of information....I can't seem to find out how to check the OTF index. Do you have a link or number for that somewhere?

Commercial fishing number with opening and index points as well as escapment is 262-9611

Awesome, thanks!

Default clarification on the regulation..

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...dll/aac/query=[JUMP:'5+aac+21!2E320']/doc/{@1}?firsthit

5 AAC 21.320. Weekly fishing periods

(a) In the set gillnet fishery,

(1) salmon may be taken in the Northern District from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Monday and from 7:00 a.m. Thursday until 7:00 p.m. Thursday;

(2) salmon may be taken in the Central District from 7:00 a.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Monday and from 7:00 a.m. Thursday until 7:00 p.m. Thursday;

(3) salmon may be taken in the Southern District from 6:00 a.m. Monday until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday and from 6:00 a.m. Thursday until 6:00 a.m. Saturday;

(4) the fishing periods set forth in (1) - (3) of this subsection may be modified by emergency order.

Which district is the Mouth of Kenai in?

Thanks.

I've dipped the mouth of the Kenai for almost ten years now, but never really paid attention so now I need to ask. Just how much does a commercial opener slow the dipnetting down? Just 10%, 50%, or more like 90%? Say for example the fish are coming in strong enough to get 50 fish in one tide. Would that not be possible if the commercial boys are fishing that day?

Thanks!

That's one of those wonderful it depends situations, and I'd say it would be somewhere between 10 and 90 percent, depending on where the fish are in relation to the mouth of the river, what time you are fishing etc. For instance I was thinking about heading down Thursday night to fish the evening high tide, but seing that Thursday is a com day, I'll wait until the Friday evening tide.

Definately take the commercial openings into consideration when timing your trip, as they definately have an effect on how many fish are entering the river.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default More impact later in the season.

As the commercial boats intercept the fish as they move farther up the inlet, the impact is more significant. I've learned to not bother with fishing in general on comm openers, especially the setnet openings, as they are directly intercepting fish coming along the beaches to the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That's one of those wonderful it depends situations, and I'd say it would be somewhere between 10 and 90 percent
    That certainly narrows that down.

So am i reading the regs right? Mon and thurs are commercial fleet days on the kenai?