Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou hunting the haul road 2011

Default Caribou hunting the haul road 2011

So me and my buddy are wanting too bow hunt the haul road, this will be both of are first times so I pretty much want to know everything I need too know about this trip we will be driving from kenai to deadhorse if we need too find caribou herds , but my main consern is will we be to late to hunt them? we will be leaving for this trip around end of august begining of september how likely am I too find some herds around that time and im talking throughout the whole drive and also what are some good spots too stop at on my going through fair banks and what not for moose as well, any info will be much appriecated

I have only been on the haul road a couple times as for finding the herds is hit or miss but alot of people like toolik lake and gilbrath but I havent been up there yet and not seen caribou be sure you bring gas cans (filled) because gas stations are none existant up there.if there is snow and you are taking the 5 mile walk bring a sled dont try to pack one out on your back ( my buddy and I learned that one the hard way).but other than that the haul road is an awsome road trip especially with a few buddies.
    as for moose I really cant help ya. still workin on my first!! but good luck and stay safe
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

yeah thanks for the info, now i hear alot of people talking about the 5 mile walk whats that all about, is that cause you have to be five miles out to shoot a gun right? cause we are both going with bows so we can pretty much stay close to the road if we wanted to and shoot one right?

All kinds of info on the Haul Road on the bow hunting forum.
    Have you tried to "search" Haul Road yet?

Hd,

Lots of info on this site, but let me add this up front. I have driven and hunted from the Haul road, from Galbraith to Deadhorse. The answer to your question is: the caribou are where you run into them. They can be anywhere. The only place I have consistently found them is in the foothills of the Brooks, which requires a plane ride. Your timing should be ok. That is the time frame in which I usually hunt, and last year I looked at nearly 1000 caribou. But remember, I flew back away from the road. Lots of animals will still be in the hills, but lots will be moving too.

I camp at Happy Valley for several weeks when I am not hunting and drive back and forth between there and Deadhorse a lot. I see the road hunters and talk to them a lot. Here's the deal, if you see a couple rigs parked along the road, there is likely a bou out there and someone is going after it. And if you see someone already stalking a bou, please drive by and let the hunter hunt. You can't believe how many times I have seen different parties approaching the same animal from 2 or three directions.

Let me also say this. You might want to bring some money or a credit card. Every year while in camp at HV, lots of road hunters stop and ask my buddy (pilot) how much to fly them back off the road. They all started wanting to road hunt exclusively, but many times got frustrated with the 5 mile archery zone, other hunters or missed migration. There are a couple services in HV, (including my friend at, 70 North) and one who advertises here out of Galbraith. I have only flown with my friend, but have only heard good things about most of the other guys. Most will be booked, but often can fit a party in at the end of August, before they close up camp.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. The drive from Kenai is long but a lot of fun.

Good luck,

Don Mulligan

I'm wanting to do the same hunt but at the beginning of August. I just got a canoe this morning so I can get across any water that I can't use my chest waders on. I'm only interested in the archery part of the hunt. I plan on hunting within a mile of the rd. give or take a mile I will be in a white Jeep Rubicon with 24 gallons of fuel on the back putting down the Haul at 25 mph looking for animals. The only thing I need to figure out now is if I'm going up alone or if I can find a partner. Never done the hunt before, should be fun!

Teacherman, send me an email at hoopscoach44@hotmail.com I might be able to help.

What is the driving distance/time from Wasilla to Pump Station 2? Been looking on a map and cant get mapquest to hit on anything in that area, lol.

thanks

teach

Default Air Taxi Brooks Hills

Hello. My son & I will be making a road trip up the Dalton later this summer to hunt bou. About how much would a drop hunt from HV Camp into the brooks hills cost for 2 pers w/gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    What is the driving distance/time from Wasilla to Pump Station 2? Been looking on a map and cant get mapquest to hit on anything in that area, lol.

thanks

teach
    About 750 miles. Figure 16 hours.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Lauren,

There are 3 or 4 guys operating out of Happy Valley at various levels. I don't know what the other guys charge, but I think 70 North charges about the same with a fee per hour for either the Helio or 206. You should call Mike McCrary or Bob to get their rate this year. Their website is www.seventynorth.com. There is a phone number there.

Don Mulligan

Quote Originally Posted by Hdbomar92 View Post
    yeah thanks for the info, now i hear alot of people talking about the 5 mile walk whats that all about, is that cause you have to be five miles out to shoot a gun right? cause we are both going with bows so we can pretty much stay close to the road if we wanted to and shoot one right?
    yeah that is right...you need to be sure that you read the regs on that because the troopers are very strict when it comes to that rule, so if you do take a firearm you had also better bring a gps! remember its 5 miles from the road not just a 5 mile walk!!
    everybody here has given all the advice I would really think is need to know if I think of anymore I will shoot you a pm
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

I too am planning to drive up to the Galbraith Lake area for caribou hunting around the end of august. Is it going to be ridiculous with people up there that time of year? My thought was to hike in SW from Galbraith Lake or S off the highway from where it bends to the east, making sure I'm five miles off. But if it's going to be bumper-to-bumper with hunters, then I'll happily part with a few hundred $$ to have a local pilot drop me off further in. But I got the impression that's something I would have had to book weeks or months in advance.

~ Garn

Also I will add that I'm not opposed to pairing up with another group for safety or for ease of game transport, if anyone is interested in that let me know.

I'm wanting to do the same hunt but at the beginning of August. I just got a canoe this morning so I can get across any water that I can't use my chest waders on. I'm only interested in the archery part of the hunt. I plan on hunting within a mile of the rd. give or take a mile I will be in a white Jeep Rubicon with 24 gallons of fuel on the back putting down the Haul at 25 mph looking for animals. The only thing I need to figure out now is if I'm going up alone or if I can find a partner. Never done the hunt before, should be fun!
    Be careful in a canoe I crossed the Sag last year in a cheap coleman and it was not a very pleasant experience. needles to say we only crossed once and most of the bou were on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by chadf View Post
    Be careful in a canoe I crossed the Sag last year in a cheap coleman and it was not a very pleasant experience. needles to say we only crossed once and most of the bou were on the other side.
    thanks for the info. I love my Coleman. I grew up taking my 17' Coleman down some crazy water in WA as a kid. But I always wear my life vest.

You guys do any good?

Default A little Hard work

If you are willing to walk i would take a rifle too. I have hunted the haul rd for several years with a couple buds. We have taken some nice bulls and a grizz. One friend hunts with a bow but always swaps to a rifle and heads 5 mile out to bag a bull. As noted earlier, bou can be anywhere and come in waves. If you hike out, you may have to hunt for several days before a respectable animal shows. We pack a kifaru teepee and hunt 3+ miles from our spike camp located 5.5 miles out staying for appx 10days. The lack of cover makes bow hunting tough but the pack out isnt easy if you go the rifle route. I have never seen another hunter out there but wet tundra begs for great boots and dragging Bou on a sled or packing is a b buster. I would also recommend sept vs august since labor day can be in the 50s making meat quality questionable. If you need more info pm and i will call you.

I would probably try to take more than 24 gallons with you if you can. Fuel is expensive in Coldfoot and that's about the last place you'll get any going north until you get to Deadhorse, and you don't want to buy fuel there. Also, putting along the haul rd at 25 mph isn't too great of any idea. The truckers own that road and they don't do 25. Just my opinion, based off of a lot of trips up there.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Reading this thread makes it sound nearly impossible to shoot an animal with a bow. On one hand, that is fine with me, on the other, come on. I know a few people who are tagged out up there every year with a bow. It seems a little like the keni, "oh yeah, time to dip net"', followed by the no fish to be seen comment. If you go hunting, expect to hunt. I don't know the times to be there,but you'll learn a lot by making the drive to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    My thought was to hike in SW from Galbraith Lake or S off the highway from where it bends to the east, making sure I'm five miles off. ~ Garn
    That will put you up in the mountains...bring a sheep tag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast