Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anybody who refuses to salmon fish???

Default Is there anybody who refuses to salmon fish???

Is there people who refuse to salmon fish and only fish for trout etc out there???

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I'd rather run wth the big dogs..........

Umm, living in AK I hope not!!!

I don't refuse to fish for salmon, but I hate the crowds. I have not fished for salmon in several years. Just not worth it. I get plenty of fish from friends and customers. I go where I am usually the only boat on the water fishing. I catch a few decent fish too.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

While there is nothing like doing battle with a giant King Salmon. I can no longer in good conscience fish for them, the resource just has too much pressure and the runs of the last few years are proving this to be true.

The only run of Kings I fish anymore is the Salcha and then I only fish with kids that can't shore fish and we are very careful to release those in good shape and keep the ones that are not likely to survive.

If we don't change something there may not be a King for our kids to ever catch.

JMHO

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yeah. The one thing I don't like are the mess of crowds. I caught two jacks this year and I now have caught all 5 species of salmon! My goal is just to catch all the species of fish in Alaska. It's tough, especially when I don't have a boat.

THere are lots of people like that, they live in Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, etc...

I'm way inland, and there is lots of people who refuse to fish salmon... cause they are ignorant. Let them stay there and keep the pressure off. If they show up in mass, then no one is gonna have any fun!

Just the thing about being a man... no one's gonna know better than me... aww them salmon, just give me my flyrod and a stream full of little 10 inch cutthroats, oh I like fishing walleye theres nothing better, I hate salmon (cuz I never tried it), etc

Good I say, more room for me and my people!

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    Is there people who refuse to salmon fish and only fish for trout etc out there???
    This will probably get me in trouble, but I've known quite a few women who not only won't fish for salmon but they won't fish for any type of fish!

I think my gf was in the same situation until she hooked into one. She now loves it and really rubs it in if she catches more fish than me for the day! Good times...

My GF almost always outfished me which is why I take her, someone has to fill the freezer!

Salmon are meat fish. If you like them, you fish for them. I understand what Stid says... though I did catch one king in Deep Creek this year because I crave fresh king flesh in the early summer. Probably won't target any more kings this year.

I will catch reds and silvers for winter meat, pinks for immediate consumption, chums for the eggs and to smoke the meat if firm enough.

I love trout too, and eat them. I won't fish for anything that I don't intend to eat because fishing has never been a game for me. It's fun, but I see it as mostly for sustenance.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    THere are lots of people like that, they live in Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, etc...

Heh - I was visiting the folks this last week in Montana ... fished a local lake to get some tasty perch. The bite was on and 3 of us brought a bucket home and threw 5 buckets worth back. 20+ boats on the water and we were the only fishing for perch. The others ... salmon (kokanee). They were not biting. =)

I know folks that just don't like salmon. They fish halibut all the time, but refuse to fish for salmon cause they won't eat it.

Me, I'm with Sayak on this one. I'm a meat eater.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I won't REFUSE to fish for anything, but I really don't care whether I catch another salmon or not. Sure they can be fun to catch, but when I fish for fun, I'd just as soon target bows. When I eat fish I want halibut. Have eaten at leats a few salmon and love to sample anyone's smoked fish, but just can't go out of my way to catch them.
    Thank God we all have different needs & wants.

Yup, for all the salmon i've caught up here i'd just as soon catch buckets full of perch as spend a week to catch one king! I miss panfish!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Yup, for all the salmon i've caught up here i'd just as soon catch buckets full of perch as spend a week to catch one king! I miss panfish!
    You ain't fishing in the right spot

I'm not on for crowds and see my few opportunities to fish salmon as a core freezer filling venture. 1 trip this year yielded 2 40# kings and 24 reds. Good for another year. My first time with a charter and I will definitely do it again!! Well worth every penny spent as we were able to fish a private stretch of bank and limit on reds during some of the years hottest fishin.

Default The Old Man

When I was growing up in Western Washington, my dear old Dad was an avid Cowlitz River steelheader, so that's what we fished for and salmon was by-catch. Mom didn't like to cook salmon because she said it was too oily. It wasn't until many years later when they started fishing the saltwater that they would enjoy eating salmon. Thanks to the OP for this memory recall.

I don't mess with sport fishing for salmon
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast