Thread: What kind of fish?

Default What kind of fish?

Always fun to post and read these, but unfortunately I have no pictures this time. We were in Homer a month ago, fishing near Elizabeth Island. This one fish kept circling the boat, maybe 10 feet down for half an hour. It wouldn't take any bait either, thought about snagging it but didn't.
    It looked about 3 or 4 feet long, (could have been bigger, but that's what it looked like). It had wings like a skate, but not nearly as wide as a skate. It had what looked like a circle on each "wing". I've asked some people but no one knows. It did not swim like a skate, but more like a shark. It was hard to get a clear look, but the features I described were accurate.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

It sounds like one kind of skate up here, anyway. Did it look like this?

jumboskate.jpg

A good chance. Is that the common skates that you catch out there? I guess I've never seen one in the water swimming like that either, and I thought they were on the bottom only.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

They're pretty common, although you're right, it seems unusual to be swimming near the surface. Not sure why it would be doing that, unless it followed your bait up?