Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskacanoe ... what about the spam?

Default Alaskacanoe ... what about the spam?

Alaskacanoe .... How about deleting the constant movie spam? It's becoming annoying and, I thought, contrary to the forum rules.
    Kinda surprised that it's allowed to collect on here.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Alaskacanoe .... How about deleting the constant movie spam? It's becoming annoying and, I thought, contrary to the forum rules.
    Kinda surprised that it's allowed to collect on here.

Thanks.
    We are doing the best we can, they are hammering us. I have been deleting 20 or more a day. The Canoe forum gets a lot because it is the first forum on the board.

Use the triangle on the left and help us out.

Thanks Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This stuff comes in waves it is not allowed to stay, they are just doing a pretty good job of posting it up almost as fast as we can kill it. They have numerous user accounts and we are banning them as fast as we can as an all volunteer mod staff. I am killing ten plus a day for this entire week as are pretty much all the other mods. Things usually quiet down after a week or so when it gets like this.

Default spammers are leeches

I report between 0 and 3 or 4 per day, like you say, many on this canoe forum because it lists first for the spammers. Sorry to voice negative opinions, but spammers are much like the leech on the Internet these days, in that their paycheck comes from all of us, which we do not voluntarily give.

Sorry for piping up ... didn't realize the magnitude of the cyber onslaught.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sorry for piping up ... didn't realize the magnitude of the cyber onslaught.
    The overall picture locally here is good news not bad. While spamming worldwide continues to increase, this site continues to eradicate 99.9% of it. Doesn't get any better anywhere else on the Internet.

I got 115 spam hits on my own personel website inquiry emails. that was in just 6 hours..
    I have to sort thru everyone of them as three of the 115 were legimate emails to my business.
    My wife said its driving her crazy too..
    I have heard many different thoughts on why the amounts of spam are generated, and although my mind does not wrap around all of the theory... I think its eventually going to boil down to each posting having to type in a code, similar to what you do when you place an ad on craigslist etc.
    It is a pain to have to attempt to determine what those characters always are that you are supposed to duplicate in order to post, but its a truly effective way to keep mass dumps of spam from making to a site.
    Do any of you folks have any ideas?
    Other than stringing up the people that are doing these spam attacks?
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Do any of you folks have any ideas?
    Other than stringing up the people that are doing these spam attacks?
    Yes, I can explain it more in depth, but it requires more keystrokes than I care to make; be happy to discuss anytime.

No, no other option, I'm afraid. With one caveat. The actual humans doing the spams are getting paid penny(s) per post (likely, to feed their families), we need to string up the people that provide those pennies.

Be careful...you will end up with a government study, then research, next a beta program and finally a full blown effort to eradicate the pest...then some tree hugger will file a law suit and we will have federal protection for the beast...probably on the endangered species list or it will hurt someone's feelings that they are not getting spam and we will have a new protected class..."homospamians" and they will get federal grants to sooth their hurt feelings. Proceed with CAUTION!!!

You guys banning individual spam user accounts or the associated IP addresses?

On the forum I used to run we started to block the IP's and it really cut down on the ones that got through.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default blocking IPs isn't the solution

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    You guys banning individual spam user accounts or the associated IP addresses?

On the forum I used to run we started to block the IP's and it really cut down on the ones that got through.
    What does that do for the DSL account guy? Next time he connects to the internet he gets a new IP, possibly the ID of the spammer who's IP you just permanently blocked and now you've blocked the wrong get and are letting the other wrong guy (the spammer) continued acccess?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    What does that do for the DSL account guy? Next time he connects to the internet he gets a new IP, possibly the ID of the spammer who's IP you just permanently blocked and now you've blocked the wrong get and are letting the other wrong guy (the spammer) continued acccess?
    Most spammers do not use the main providers as their hosts, therefore you will not have that problem. The spam bots have been banned for a long time with the major providers and have to use overseas or home brew servers to do their business. Unless you have a lot of users from central Russia or Asia the average site will not have any issues blocking spammer IP addresses.

The odds of you banning the guy down the street are pretty low.

There are numerous proxies that can be used all over the world for this stuff. We also have more than a few members that do mission work so it would not be ideal to block regional IP's.

Default zombies

The odds of you banning the guy down the street are pretty low.
    Not true. Many thousands of computers (in the ten or hundred-thousands) have zombie viruses on them in operation, right now. Any of them might at some time be directed to spam this site; if you ban the spam's origin IP you have banned an innocent bystander (that might be a member here).

I have received spams from members here (friends of mine) that I email with on the side (outside of this forum's services) that have had their computer zombie-ized, so don't say it can't happen. It has already, here.

And surely don't anyone chime in and say just keep your Norton up to date; that doesn't hold water either. Ever wonder why Norton (and the other major providers) send out updates? Its because new viruses that Norton does NOT handle are "in the wild" attacking people's computers - including the ones that have kept their Norton up to date.

I await your response bilder. Not that I want to argue with you incessantly, but if you can refute what I say above with facts I'd love to hear'm. I know of what I speak here, and have had some forays into the spam protection arena personally. I have never been and never will be a spammer or worse, online, but I know a lot about them and their world.

the ability for a spammer to auto generate onto a site such as this,,, using bots,.... leaping and using innocent folks computers etc. is a progressive world with new methods found every time a way to block them is discovered.
    I know of only one way to stop the auto generated spammers, and that is by using the funky character method that randoms new passwords that need entering by physically typing what characters you see in the little box into anouther box getting confirmation that you typed in the proper code,,,,and then moving from there to being able to enter your post.
    Those types of systems make it slower to make your posts, but they do work..
    as for now,,, thank you all for helping us with the reporting of the spammer posts...
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default captcha protection

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Those types of systems make it slower to make your posts, but they do work..
    as for now,,, thank you all for helping us with the reporting of the spammer posts...
    Actually Max, they just mostly work.

There are jobs posted online (not to be racist, but many of these jobs are filled from India) merely to translate CAPTCHA pictures into letters. It pays about 25 cents an hour.

But I agree with you that it slows things down. I yearn for the Internet of almost two decades ago that was before spam and virus's were invented, and I curse our country's laws of not allowing people to produce products aimed at hitting spammer where it hurts (online, not physically); instead, by our own country's laws, anyone that produces such a product can successfully get their butt sued right off. How is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Not true. Many thousands of computers (in the ten or hundred-thousands) have zombie viruses on them in operation, right now. Any of them might at some time be directed to spam this site; if you ban the spam's origin IP you have banned an innocent bystander (that might be a member here).

I have received spams from members here (friends of mine) that I email with on the side (outside of this forum's services) that have had their computer zombie-ized, so don't say it can't happen. It has already, here.

And surely don't anyone chime in and say just keep your Norton up to date; that doesn't hold water either. Ever wonder why Norton (and the other major providers) send out updates? Its because new viruses that Norton does NOT handle are "in the wild" attacking people's computers - including the ones that have kept their Norton up to date.

I await your response bilder. Not that I want to argue with you incessantly, but if you can refute what I say above with facts I'd love to hear'm. I know of what I speak here, and have had some forays into the spam protection arena personally. I have never been and never will be a spammer or worse, online, but I know a lot about them and their world.
    There is a difference between someone having their computer hijacked and an actual spammer company. It is pretty easy to tell when you look up the IP of a spam post to tell what the story is. Of course you would not block an IP from AT&T or GCI, but a no name IP from Uzbekistan is probably a company that specializes in spam and can be blocked without worry. You can find lists of know spammer IP's online and use those to check a suspect address before you bring the ban hammer down.

On the forum I ran, we had users from all over the world (ham radio) and even then it was pretty easy to tell the legit IP's from the spam companies. We only had one issue with a user who could not access the site due to a blocked IP address.

I do agree that the graphic letters will prevent some from getting through, but some software can read those images. One thing we did was to use the graphic as well as a question that required human thought and input in order to register on the site. A question such as "What is twelve minus nine?"

None of these are a full proof method of blocking spam, but every little bit helps.

If your computer is infected, run spybot search and destroy on it and that will usually clear up the problem. It is free and works pretty well. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html AVG is a free anti-virus program that works well as does Avast anti-virus.

You can find lists of know spammer IP's online and use those to check a suspect address before you bring the ban hammer down.
    I agree with all you said except this.

You refer to what is called a "black list" and black lists are quite well known to have many non spammer addresses in them. Also, due to the immense number of black lists people make around the globe and their arduous process they mandate for an innocent to be removed from their list, no one ever does it. They just go get a different IP. And guess what happens to the old IP that was blacklisted? Yes, it goes to some innocent bystander.

Black lists are crap.

There has been alot of spam! Ill try using the triangle to help as much as i can

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Thank you Max

We really appreciate that you've cleaned up all the do-do that was happening on this forum.If it was another administrator--thanks to you.Didn't want to open a bunch of spam stuff and get infected with some kind of virus or worse.We all are grateful......

Now back to water sports...............
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 07-13-2011 at 20:34. Reason: cause I could

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast