Thread: trout hardware?

Default trout hardware?

Ok so today was the first time I went out and deliberately trout fished. I got skunked. No big deal a day outside here is better than 200 days working.

My question is what type of gear should I use for trout. I dont fly fish. I have a spin cast reel. I used a multitude of small vibrax today (one of which was destroyed by a fire engine red king that was still hanging around by some miracle) blue, silver, pink etc. I also tried some single eggs under a bobber in a lake on the way home and saw some trout swim right past the **** things. Any suggestions are appreciate.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I used a multitude of small vibrax today (one of which was destroyed by a fire engine red king that was still hanging around by some miracle) blue, silver, pink etc..
    ROFLMAO!!!! the irony all those Rainbows I was telling you where I suggested you try were caught on size 5 vibrax when I was fishing for Kings!!!!

you were doing what I would have done... I've heard white streamers work really well on the parks streams.

as for the lake??? no answer, Powerbait, shrimp, and worms are all I've heard but then I've had good success trolling eggs behind flashers.

Oh... keep the line weight down... 4lb is supposedly ideal. I'm not that brave and go with 6lb, but no more than 8lb. the larger line size apparently spooks trout.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

batmobile
    what kind of water were you fishing in-creek,river,lake?That might make a difference on the tackle to use.

You would not believe how many trout I have caught using a pink wiggle wart when fishing in salmon streams.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I usually float powerbait or go with salmon eggs. Trout are usually really tricky so you have to really set the hook if they start nibbling. I have also nailed many a trout using #0-1 Mepps or rooster tails.

I was fishing a stream then a lake.

Sounds like Im on the right track maybe a thinner line. I was using a braid which is pretty thin but can try a smaller mono leader.

I like to throw Panther Martin's for trout over the Vibrax. Gold blade with a back and yellow dotted body. Or all gold/silver were my favorites for trout back in OR.

@c6

In streams, you ought to pick up fly fishing. Its incredibly effective, and doesn't actually require casting. If you insist on spinning gear, I would still try tossing out some flies. If there are kings in the water, try tossing out a 10mm bead setup. (size 8-12 hook, fix a bead (bring a variety of shades, bright for fresh, faded for old) 2" from hook using toothpick, place weight 18" above hook with enough weight to make bead flow at same pace as current). Cast this at your 10oclock upstream and past the Kings, and drift that bead right underneath them to your 2oclock position. Otherwise black wooly buggers are still effective. From seeing your other posts, i know you read regs, so be especially careful on Kenai tributaries about treble hooks/bait (I say this because this is my favorite spot to trout fish).

On lakes, here's an often overlooked trick. If its dark outside, use bright lures. If its bright, use dark lures (like black, brown, etc.) Also, popcorn shrimp are a good alternative to eggs/powerbait when trout are being picky.

good luck!
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

I would really like to fly fish I just dont have the money to pick up another set of gear. I can try setting up some flies/beads on my rod/reel combo and flip them with the setups you mentioned. I can waste some serious time trying different things I dont mind. If it works I can just keep doing it. If not Ill just have to bargain shop for a fly rod setup and somebody will have to take some time to teach me how to do that.

alaska fly fishers (club/association???) does seminars in the spring... I was too busy this year but may try next.

http://akflyfishers.net/