Thread: Light tackle line

Default Light tackle line

Thanks for all the help on the halibut line got them all done,Now I just got my lighter reels in the mail today hold up to 25lb test should I use 20 or 25 ? If so braided or mono ? My wife says I'm so pitiful I have the boat in the yard the gear but can not go out till Sept 1 because of work
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Not knowing what light reels you have makes it hard to suggest what`s right for your reels. That said, I use 17# Sufix mono to handle the trolling/mooching and rockfish. I usually carry a couple spools of 55# braid and the two loaded with mono. P-Line makes good mono as well.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Here's my suggestion: Go to B&J's, ask for Fonz, show him one of your reels and tell him what you're primarily fishing for and how, and follow his advice on what line to get. He hasn't steered me wrong before.

I have a rod I use for "salmon" in any situation (fresh h2O, salt, rivers, ocean, mooching, trolling), it has 30 lb spiderwire on it. I just run the appropriate leader for the fish I am fishing for and it all works out. 20 lb for Silvers, 30 lb for kings and anything else, has worked for years and I don't need 7 different rods.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Here's my suggestion: Go to B&J's, ask for Fonz, show him one of your reels and tell him what you're primarily fishing for and how, and follow his advice on what line to get. He hasn't steered me wrong before.
    Fonz and Tommy are no longer at B&J`s...sad really...almost all new floor staff.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have shimano tekota's, I think they are 400's. I use 25 pound test mono for trolling kings and silvers, has never failed me. I also keep a heavy salmon rod, lamiglas kenai king, set up for jigging halibut, it is a blast. I keep 50 pound power pro braid on it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Fonz and Tommy are no longer at B&J`s...sad really...almost all new floor staff.
    Bummer...I didn't know that. Those were my go-to guys.

Alright, then get 30lb Daiwa Saltiga or Daiwa Samurai braided line. It's thin, casts far, is color coded for depth, and is strong stuff.