Thread: Who...What...When...

Default Who...What...When...

The worlds first polymer frame pistol.

Who made it?

What model was it?

When was it made?

I'm bored. Two weeks before my trip to Africa and I'm ready to go.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

H&K VP70...production started in 1970, started importation in the US sometime in the late 70s or early 80s.

The wait must be killin' ya.

Yes it is...it was better when I got ready to go five minutes before final boarding call.

I pulled this old thing out of the vault...it is an "M" model but I have no stock. I don't think it is a stamp gun. ATF told me once if there was no stock, it was ok. Bought on a C&R license some years ago. I shot 18 rounds on a steelman in 7.1 seconds. Direct blowback action with a spring kit in the trigger...about 9 pounds. UGH!!

It is a very unique piece of German junque!! Not worth much but makes a good reliable beater.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I had one some years ago...think in the early 90s. The trigger had to be one of the most horrendous ever devised. Mine was a
    "Z" with no stock or burst feature- that just might have been the coolest feature of them all. I took it on a sideways trade for something utterly forgettable and let it go for something even more forgettable, I was really wanting a Glock and was dissapointed.

Junque...but way ahead of its time junque.

It actually was ahead of its time. Striker fired (DAO) guns with polymer frames grow on trees nowadays.
    The gun is hell for strong and digest machine gun ammo without a hitch. It is over sized and ugly but has a more comfortable grip than a Glock. The trigger is long and heavy but I've got mine down to about 9 pounds...that's shootable. It;s beat up and I don't care about stuffing it in the bottom of my duffle or under the truck seat. It is a strong, safe, reliable, heavy clunker.....with a cross bolt safety, that has never failed to function.

They are hell for stout, I'll give them that. If I recall correctly one of the State PDs from somewhere in the NE (like Maine or New Hampshire) actually issued them to their troopers for a while. I don't rememeber if it had the fluted chamber H&K put in that squeeze cocker number- being a blowback and all- or if that was a seperate development.

Waiting on your safari is sure bring up a blast from the past.

Yeah....I'm impatient. I have tried to get several different guys to go with me but no one could make it on short notice. It's cheaper and lots more fun to go with friends but all mine have died or are ill.....or maybe I just don't have any.

But, I'm going and looking for a 60 pounder...about all I can afford...