Thread: question regarding string hitting my forearm

Default question regarding string hitting my forearm

K....I have a string for my recurve - at least for one set of the limbs LOL...Used to shoot a fair amount,7-8 yrs ago, never had any issues with how I held/shot the bow....however, seems that I have a problem now... for some reason am getting hit by the string near the joint of my thumb/wrist where the arm guard does not cover my wrist...hurts like a 'mother'. LOL.... I know I am probably not holding the bow quite correctly, but am unsure as to what I am doing wrong...pushing forward to much with my bowhand? twisting my hand/wrist too much? too much bend at the wrist?

any tips/advice appreciated!

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Pretty hard to correct something we can't see. Doesn't take much tweaking on a bow to change things. If you haven't shot for a while and you have new strings, are you sure your dl is correct. Something is off if you are hitting near your wrist, when I have had problems it hits the meat of my forearm.

yes...you are correct..hard to give advice in a situation where you can't see what is happening....I do not 'grip' the handle of my bow...try to keep my wrist straight and bowhand relaxed..and cant the bow very slightly...

I know what brace height is, but what does DL stand for? LOL....
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Dl was referring to draw length. I don't see how if you hold your bow properly and it is set up right how you could hit you wrist. Something is off and it may not be you.

Im not an expert by any means, but I have a loose grip on my bow when I draw and let the bow push against the V of my hand. Plus a slight outward cant to my elbow on the arm holding the bow. I don't shoot over 20 yards with the recurve and that's what works for me.

Try changing your stance. If you are a right handed shooter, slide you right foot forward in relation to your left foot. This is called "opening" your stance.

Attachment 50712
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You might need to put some twists into the string to raise your brace height. Most recurves are +or- 8".

Default String Length

If the string is hitting your hand, and the bow is not jumping out of your hand, you may be using too long of a bow string. The string is essentially overtravelling, and, being too long, isn't pulling the ends of the recurve far back enough to stop short of your hand. Try a 1 or 2 inch shorter bow string.

If that shortens the draw length or increases the draw weight too much, you could wear a gauntlet style leather glove on that hand, but you would still have the noise from the impact.

Mike

The advice to open the stance often helps with this. Another thing to try is to cant (tilt) the bow slightly toward your other side (i.e., if you shoot holding the bow with your left hand, rotate your bow hand slightly toward the right) so that the bow is no longer perpendicular to the ground.