Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally bagged my first blackie!

Default Finally bagged my first blackie!

I just posted another thread about sighting in my Marlin XL7 30-06 at the last minute a few days ago, in preparation for a next-day black bear hunt. Thanks to a friend, and his predator calling skills I got my first bear last night. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can figure out how to get this silly computer to recognize my camera, but until then, here are the details:

We began by checking a couple bait sites, both of which had been hit. It was still mid-afternoon, so we drove about 12 miles back toward home and set up camp along a stream. To start the day off right, I pulled a 16" Rainbow out of the stream. At about 9:00 (Just over 24 hours ago) we decided to hop on the fourwheelers and head to the tree stands. We arrived at the stands, and climbed up around 10:15 to sit for what we thought would be about a three-hour wait.

My friend decided to give his predator call a whirl, and we were there for only an hour before a small black bear showed his curiosity. Remember, this was to be my first bear so size was only important as it relates to the legality of the animal as game. He was big enough, so the game was on. He came in from the opposite direction as expected though, so I was now in an awkward position to shoot. He was moving through the brush, circling us and trying to get our scent. I stood up slowly and turned around backwards in the stand, bracing my support hand on the trunk of the tree.

Finally, a narrow window of opportunity presented itself as the bear stood up, testing the wind. The shot was like threading a needle with the number of trees, and brush. All I had was a head shot, so I held slightly low (He was at about 70 yards and I'm zeroed 1" high at 100) and squeezed off the shot. My hand-loaded Nosler 180 gr. partition was pushed by 58.5 grains of RL19 through the brain and out the back of the neck. The bear fell over backward, and never moved again. He was dead before he hit the ground.

For my first big-game animal, I feel as though it could not possibly have gone any better. I'm exhausted from all the work that followed, but my family now has good healthy meat to last for a while. (He wasn't into the fish yet)

My buddy estimates he'll square around 5'2" to 5'4". His coat is beautiful with no rubs and a hint of cinnamon color phase. I can't afford a rug, but I'll at least get him tanned and hang him on a wall. Here's hoping there are many more to follow him!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Nice! Congrats on the bear! I have yet to get a BB but have hopes to get one some day, hopefully not too far from now. Yea, I'd like to get one tanned too. I bet it'd drive my dogs crazy

MyTime

Congrats glad Ryan got you on a bear! Can't wait to see pics...

Congrats.
    You're lucky the meat was good, mine wasn't last year.
    Funny you mention the dogs. Mine, a chocolate lab female, couldn't care less about mine. I layed on the spare bed, just tanned like you plan. However our friends dog, a yellow lab male, goes ape doo-doo everytime he sees it. I dunno.
    Anyways, well done.
    How did that bullet do? Full pass through? Never mind, out the back of the head......guess it did great!!
    Last edited by Ryan J; 07-08-2011 at 23:23. Reason: re-read

Thanks all, 323 - for your contribution as well. ;-)

Ryan J - after full quartering and skinning, there was one small hint of fragment break-off and deflection in the left front quarter. Not even enough to damage any meat. The bullet punched through the skull and exited out the back of the neck. And this what surprised me most - there was zero damage to the neck meat. It must have traveled through the vertebrae. That would be another reason for the "dead right there" result.

I have done a TON of reading on ballistics and the effects of various bullets on game. Nosler partitions have always been one of the most highly recommended designs, and I now finally have my own experience to support them. Maybe they aren't the best. Who knows? I think it's safe to say though that at the very least, they are VERY close, and they're readily available. I'm sold and I'm sticking with them unless their quality fades and game is lost.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I finally found a way to post a pic. I stole one from my buddy on Facebook. ;-) That's me behind the bear Ryan called in for me. He even refused a backstrap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on a great hunt and bear, not bad fishing either it sounds. Live it up.

Thanks Don - I've been here in AK since March of '06. The more time I spend here, the deeper my foundation buries itself in the permafrost.

that is fantastic and congradulations on your first on what I'm sure will be many. Sounds like your hooked.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Your first bear and you took it with your own handloads...that's extra cool. Your enthusiasm as you tell the story is evident and fun to see. We are truly fortunate people to have these opportunities, and the experiences will stay with us for the rest of our lives. Congratulations sir!

Its the perfect bear as its skunt out and meat hauled what could be better,congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Little guy or big bruiser, isn't it amazing to see them coming through the trees? Catching glimpses of black as they walk quietly in is thrilling. Bears are awesome. Nice story. Bet he eats well.
    ARR

Matt, Congrats again I am glad we got the chance to hit the stand and experience the wildlife together. Congrats on the bear.. but 1 thing you forgot to mention in your write up was the fact that you were trying to get cell signal to send out those photos of your fish when the blackie walked in... thought bubble on the bear was "Can you hear me now?".

Great job on the shot and I am looking forward to our future hunts

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Matt, Congrats again I am glad we got the chance to hit the stand and experience the wildlife together. Congrats on the bear.. but 1 thing you forgot to mention in your write up was the fact that you were trying to get cell signal to send out those photos of your fish when the blackie walked in... thought bubble on the bear was "Can you hear me now?".

Great job on the shot and I am looking forward to our future hunts
    Now why'd ya have to go call me out like that? Oh, by the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your fishing expertise. My trout may have been nearly 16", but your seventeen 1 inchers trump that one, I'm sure.

Great story and congrats. I read your other post and then found this one and was expecting to see a smaller bear but that one is respectable in my book. I wasn't so lucky when I shot a smaller female 11 years ago. That ment a lot to me but it would have been nice to have someone with me at the time to share it with.

I also used a handload, 120gr Barnes X bullet in my 7Mag at about 3300fps and one shot was all that was needed at about 200 yards. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the day off and having it happen on my birthday was nice too. It cost me $600 at the time to have a rug made and it was just about an hours drive from home. The meat was great.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Great story and congrats. I read your other post and then found this one and was expecting to see a smaller bear but that one is respectable in my book. I wasn't so lucky when I shot a smaller female 11 years ago. That ment a lot to me but it would have been nice to have someone with me at the time to share it with.

I also used a handload, 120gr Barnes X bullet in my 7Mag at about 3300fps and one shot was all that was needed at about 200 yards. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the day off and having it happen on my birthday was nice too. It cost me $600 at the time to have a rug made and it was just about an hours drive from home. The meat was great.
    Thanks for sharing your story too, I've been hand - loading for about 12 years now, and to me taking game just means more when I use my own loads. Congrats on your first bear too, regardless of size! Black bears in AK are usually not very big compared to those in areas where there are no brown bears. The browns tend to push the blacks out of the areas with the most plentiful food sources. The one I shot weighed (guessing) around 200 - 250 lbs. I picked him up, thinking I could try to "fireman carry" him back to the ATV's. I couldn't even get him over my shoulders, and I've done just that before with some fairly large soldiers. He may be small for a bear, but I still had to gut him to reduce weight and drag him through the woods to the wheeler.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Congratulations again. Nice looking bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Congratulations again. Nice looking bear.
    Thanks Chief! You got me hooked with that roast you gave me.

I sense a bear bait station in the coming years registered to you Matt. LOL you got the fever now. Tell your wife I am sorry for getting you addicted

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    I sense a bear bait station in the coming years registered to you Matt. LOL you got the fever now. Tell your wife I am sorry for getting you addicted
    No need to feel remorse on her behalf - she's as happy to have the meat as I was to go and get it! And I think your prediction may be true, but only when I have more time to dedicate to it. I think I'll try some calling first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast