Thread: Locations

Default Locations

I am looking for good hiking trails, places, etc. to take my dogs. I am fairly new to Alaska and have found a few on my own but I thought maybe some hiking veterns could help us out! I am having an especially hard time finding places to go this time of year because the snow is too deep! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Where are you staring from? Anchorage?? That would be helpful in giving you some ideas.

-Brian

Default Locations

Oh yeah...that would be helpful! Yeah I am starting from Anchorage!
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Despite the snow being deep, most popular trails are well packed. With a pair of snowshoes you can go pretty much anywhere, be aware of avalanche slopes. W/o snowshoes, there is powerline pass, Far North Bicentenial, Campbel Creek, South Fork of Eagle River, Eagle River Nature Centure. I've hiked all those areas within the past week or two and you won't find a nicer time to go. The snow is well packed, it isn't bitter cold, it isn't so warm that the snow is sloppy, hasn't freeze/thawed to create ice and the clear skies have made for amazing views. I just hiked most of the way up Near Point during my lunch "hour" today.

Check out this website for maps of those areas. http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/