Thread: Which ATV

Cool Which ATV

I am looking to purchase a new ATV for hunting this year. I have narrowed my search down between two different 4 wheelers. Which would you choose.

1 Yamaha 550 Grizzly with power steering. I love the power steering, Hate the racks.

2 Polaris 800 with EFI. No Power Steering. I like the power, but no power steering.

Your thoughts.

My vote is for the Yamaha. Bought one new (Big Bear) in 2002 and I have had "0" problems with it. I have had it on several hunts and it plows snow in the winter.

I'm partial to Polaris ok I own two.. But heard nothing but great things on the yamahas... Have a buddy with the new 850 Polaris hatcher pass sold it to him 10 grand out the door his had all the bells and whistle to include power steering.

You like the polaris racks? Why are you comparing a 550 to an 800? I would get about any other FOUR wheeler than Polaris. I have the 800 sportsman and am less impressed with their build everyday.
    This should be in the ATV forum.

Can we talk about rifles In the hunting forum or does that that need to take place somewhere else. It seems appropriate to discuss 4 wheeler for hunting on a hunting forum. Just my thoughts.

Boo hoo you two! Sure needs to go to atv forums. When was the last time anyone posted anything in hunting section that was beneficial too anyone. Let's see #1 topic here what gun should I use for brown bear #2 I tore my knee up how long to recover #3 I drank some water now I have bubble guts what should I do to prevent it #4 hey is a 44 mag good bear defense #5 hey I was drawn for this tag and I have no idea where the place is at #6 hey is a 300gr barnes enough for a caribou The only person who posts anything interesting is strangerinastrangeland...

I wouldnt go with either of those and get a honda!

My Honda's have never failed. (oldest is 1995) Neither has the Polaris ranger..Maintenance has a key role in any atv adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Boo hoo you two! Sure needs to go to atv forums. When was the last time anyone posted anything in hunting section that was beneficial too anyone. Let's see #1 topic here what gun should I use for brown bear #2 I tore my knee up how long to recover #3 I drank some water now I have bubble guts what should I do to prevent it #4 hey is a 44 mag good bear defense #5 hey I was drawn for this tag and I have no idea where the place is at #6 hey is a 300gr barnes enough for a caribou The only person who posts anything interesting is strangerinastrangeland...
    I don't know why I can't give you rep points. God know you have them coming for this post.

+2 for the honda.... and the power steering is an amazing thing!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    LOL Seems that way.

I think you will be wasting gas with that 800. Id get the 550, and then thats one less 5 gallon jug you have to bring along. I have the 800 motor in my 6 wheeler and its a little dissapointing with the range. But it is a powerhouse and the efi is sure nice. It has occured to me though that if I had an engine failure with the 800 I would be SOL for sure. It is one complicated motor. You cant even get the spark plugs out without some serious teardown.

My view on hunting rigs is that pretty much any of the 550's will get it dine with good tires and a winch with heated grips a nice bonus. The ultimate rig is the Polaris 6x6 as it will climb steeper and haul more as well as bust brush that would hang up anything with 4 wheels. For the the hunter on a budget who doesn't mind rowing their own gears my hands down choice would be the yamaha big bear.

I hope to go to a 6x6 my next go round and then to build a custom rack for the bed with places to mount my rifle as well as a chainsaw and a few other key items like flat gas packs. A platform to stand on for glassing would also be a worthy addition!

I've never had a Yamaha. My dad had a Polaris 700 sportsman and the turn radius on that thing was awful. Made it very difficult to turn in the woods. My Honda maneuvered much easier through the trees than his Polaris. He sold it and bought a Honda and he likes it much better. Just my 2 cents.