Thread: Meal planning for a hike in hunts?

Default Meal planning for a hike in hunts?

How do some of you meal plan if your packing in? My wife and I are packing in for a max of seven days for my DC001 hunt this September. I am trying to meal plan right now. Just wondering how some of you go about it. For some reason this part of the planning has me more stumped than most of the logistics (except packing the darn thing out!). I am thinking a Mountain House meal for dinners and oatmeal and granola's for bfast. What do you bring for lunches/trail snacks?

I use dried fruit, chocolate, and beef jerky for snacks. I get sick and tired of oatmeal pretty fast in the backcountry, so I started cooking dehydrated eggs, with bacon bits etc. You're dirtying a pan either way. You can also get tabasco sauce in ketchup-sized packets I learned... essential for backcountry eggs.

Don't overlook the idea of a Meal Replacement Packet from a reputable supplement company. Doesn't take up much room, doesn't weigh much, has the calories and nutrients you need, can mix with water.
    Just an idea.

We did DC001 last year. Breakfast was tea or cocoa, oatmeal or granola with powdered milk. Lunch we had either tortillas or sandwich thins, and a few squeeze tubes of peanut butter and jelly. Dinners I dehydrated at home. Taco bowls, stews, pasta dishes, etc. Snacks were trailmix, crackers, cookies, whatever.

Side note, I never dirty a pan with oatmeal. The little packets you can pour the hot water right in.

I prefer protein bars for my lunches. They have all the vitamins and nutrients you need with the extra protein for your muscles to repair themselves. They are small and weigh anywhere from 1.5-3 oz depending on what ones you get. Pretty much the same as a meal replacement without the mixing with water.

We cook meals at home, vac-pack single (or double) servings and freeze them. In the field we boil water and toss in the bag and in a few minutes we have a nice home cooked meal. The down side... they're heavy. And, yes, they thaw out, but if they are sealed well they will last for a week or more.

Our planning is for two meals a day. The snack stuff between is jerky, candy bars, trail mix, power bars, snack sticks... We usually plan for one home meal and one Mountain House per day. That way the only food prep in the field is to boil water. We tend to make a lot of breakfasts that we vac-pack - eggs, hash browns, bacon, ham, sausage, and then the MH for dinner.

Enjoy and have a great hunt!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Where can I find the oatmeal in the Paxkets you can pour water into? Brand?

I may vac pac 3 oatmeal packs into one bag and weigh it against 3 regular packets. 3 packs seems to be the right amount for me and the plastic bag will be more resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Where can I find the oatmeal in the Paxkets you can pour water into? Brand?
    Indeed, I would have thought the hot water would soak right through the regular store bought oatmeal packets.

I need a lot of chocolate added to make oatmeal palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    How do some of you meal plan if your packing in? My wife and I are packing in for a max of seven days for my DC001 hunt this September. I am trying to meal plan right now. Just wondering how some of you go about it. For some reason this part of the planning has me more stumped than most of the logistics (except packing the darn thing out!). I am thinking a Mountain House meal for dinners and oatmeal and granola's for bfast. What do you bring for lunches/trail snacks?
    Check out Harvest Foodworks. They have some diffrent variety from Moutian House and I like some of their products better. Especially like their pancake and syrup mix. And their powdered cooking oil is a great light weight alternative to butter or regular oil.

Just bring plenty of your avatar and you will be AOK!! All kidding aside, check out the "Pro Bars" at Costco - very condensed nutrition bar (all natural if that matters to you), and about 450 cal a bar. They actually taste pretty good to boot!! On backpack hunts I have oatmeal, coffee and pop tarts for breakfast, snack throughout the day and have a mountain house mixed with a packet of Ramen noodles for dinner...and plenty of fluids. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

All great suggestions, I thank you all. If only I could freeze dry some beers! Do you plan your foods by calories per day or just kind of ballpark it? I don't want to carry more than is needed (obviously) but I foresee a strenuous hunt and want to keep fueled. luckily I will be packing around 50 lbs of spare tire sill so I should be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Indeed, I would have thought the hot water would soak right through the regular store bought oatmeal packets.

I need a lot of chocolate added to make oatmeal palatable.
    Just the quaker ones you buy at the store.

I know it seems bizarre, I did not believe my husband at all when he told me, but then I watched, and it worked! Just don't pour the boiling water on your hand!

Weight will really add up for you on food. I stick to the 100 calories per ounce (that you carry) rule. The only exception to this that I make is for a little beef jerky. I like oatmeal for breakfast, ramen noodles for lunch, mountain house for dinner, and clif bars for snacks. You can get clif bars from Costco pretty cheap, but you get stuck with 3 flavors. I eat 2 oatmeal packs for each breakfast. I put them in a gallon size ziploc bag and just take out two packets for breakfast every morning.

As for the beers, just sneak those into your wife's pack when she isn't looking.

I keep meal planning simple for hike ins.

Breakfast: 2 instant oatmeal
    Day: 2 Nature valley granola bars
    Dinner: 1 Mountain House pro pak

Obviously in whatever flavors you want.

Every night i eat the mountain house, clean it out with boiling water, then reuse the mountain house packet from the night before as an oatmeal bowl. Dump packets in. Dump hot water in.

the big cartons of dehydrated hash browns (ziploc bagged) for breakfast and dehydrated mashed potatoes for dinner should not be overlooked or underestimated. Also no one has mentioned dehydrated refried beans, available in bulk bins, which i never go far without (the same for tillamook cheese and whole wheat ortillas)

Anytime I'll be camp cooking I have dehydrated potatoes at least one meal per day. I also often bring a pint or two of salsa. You only have to pack it one way and it is one of my favorite foods, combined with hashbrowns and cheese and maybe some eggs it's a complete meal.

I also tend to bring one small head of cabbage and a bit of oil and vinegar if i will be out for several days as I like some roughage and vitamins.

Again, you're only packing the water one way, no reason to bring exclusively dry foods, at least that's my approach. But I am more inclined to remote cooking than some. No way would I consider a week of mtn house and oatmeal.

Oh, and bring a bunch of powdered lemonade with you. 2 people can easily go through 1/2 of one of the tall canisters in a week, if not the whole thing.

You've got some hiking ahead of you.

Don't forget bagels I like the Thomas brand. I bring them on all hunts you can use them with anything and they stay fresh and can pack and squish them down to nothing and there still good. A pack of 7 or 8 I bring one for each day may be a bite heavy but worth it, then bring things to put inside them. Those Pro bars from Costco are great.

andweav - I'm still trying to imagine the expression on my sheep hunting partners face when I put a head of cabbage in his pack for that 17 mile hike up and over 2 mountains,,,I think some of the things he'd say,,, I can't say on here???

andweav.....Cabbage, holy mackeral, the amount of methane that cabbage produces in me,..that 2 man tent would soon turn into a 1 man in a hurry, as far as that goes, there wouldn't be a safe place to be in camp