Thread: One for camp?

Default One for camp?

Coming up next month for two weeks of camping/fishing the road system. We are catch and release guys, but would like to try out the grayling over the fire a few times, have heard that they are the ultimate "fish on a stick". So was wondering how you guys like to prepare yours?

Thanks,
    Shannon

Don't eat many, but when I do, grayling gumbo is my choice. Two boxes of Zatairains gumbo mix, 20% less water than it calls for. Get it almost done, then add 1 lb of grayling slivers. I cut mine into 1/4" x 1" discs for a lack of better terminology. Throw it in the gumbo for 6-8 minutes, just long enough to get done and begin flaking. In a dutch oven, we make garlic biscuits to go with. One of my favorite gravel bar meals.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Gut leave the head on and skewer with a willow branch cut into a fork. Skewer the fish so that one tine of the fork is threw one side of the fish. Thus splaying the body cavity open. Coat the inside with butter salt and garlic powder and cook away.

The best I had was cut into little grayling steaks and fried fast on both sides. Had to pick out some sharp bones but I can't wait to do it again. Make sure you try them anyway as soon as you can. You might end up eating them every night.

No matter how you do it; grayling taste like crap. The only way I've had it palatable is to wrap it in foil and throw it on the hot coals.. as soon as you pull it out of the water. If you wait even 10 minutes.. it tastes like crap.

This is from a lifetime SE guy. Fresh fish whenever, wherever. So results may vary.

Hayduke: Inversion.. good choice my man!

As a catch and release fisherman, I would pull the hook out, give him the too and fro, the run to the fire and put a dog on the skewer. Wish I knew more but never had it myownself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanman View Post
    Coming up next month for two weeks of camping/fishing the road system. We are catch and release guys, but would like to try out the grayling over the fire a few times, have heard that they are the ultimate "fish on a stick". So was wondering how you guys like to prepare yours?

Thanks,
    Shannon

We eat a lot of them because we really like fish. My two favorites are "poor man's lobster" and pan grilled fillets with oil or butter in which garlic has been sauteed. Poor man's lobster is just cutting the fish (scaled and gutted) in chunks and quick-boiling it in a quart of water with 1/8 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Serve with a drizzle of melted butter and it does kinda resemble lobster. BTW- Bite-sized halibut chunks are killer cooked the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We eat a lot of them because we really like fish. My two favorites are "poor man's lobster" and pan grilled fillets with oil or butter in which garlic has been sauteed. Poor man's lobster is just cutting the fish (scaled and gutted) in chunks and quick-boiling it in a quart of water with 1/8 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Serve with a drizzle of melted butter and it does kinda resemble lobster. BTW- Bite-sized halibut chunks are killer cooked the same way.

Just use a can of Sprite! Its Awesome!

Thanks guys, we'll have to try out some of your suggestions over the fire...... can't wait!!!