Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matsu valley fishing

Default Matsu valley fishing

i am kinda knew to the matsu valley, so does anyone know where some good spots are. i want to try to catch some pike, but i will go for whatever is in season. Also what am i supossed to do if i catch a pike, do i have to kill it or can i release it back.

Pike dont go back in the water. There are a bunch of streams right up the parks highway there. Rainbows are in there all the time and the next run of salmon will be starting soon. You also have access to something just shy of a billion lakes. Alaska fish and game has info on which ones are stocked. As always read the regs for where you are gonna fish and have fun.
    USAF Active duty. GO BEARS! GO CUBS!

Might wanna check out Lower Fire Lake up the road in Eagle River for pike...

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Might wanna check out Lower Fire Lake up the road in Eagle River for pike...
    Just stick next to the weeds. There was a report earlier in the season of something like 30 in one day there.

Long lake, honeybee lake, red shirt lake, fire lake ect.. Pretty much all willow lakes have pike in them. Fish off the weed beds and shallows
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

This came out of the 2011 Regs.

Live Release Prohibited
    In the freshwaters of West Cook Inlet and Susitna River drainage,
    anglers are not allowed to release live pike back into the water.
    Pike not retained for personal use may be disposed of through
    lawful and safe methods, including returning dead pike to the water.

U must kill all pike. We just came from red shirt lake. fishing was great. We killed 30 in about 3 hours. the biggest ones were in the 20" range. use day glow green Vibrax, or fly. to get to red you need to go up the parks hwy to Nancy lake rec. drive to the end of road by south rolly lake. rent a canoe from tippy canoe located in south rolly camp ground. its a 32 dollar rental. then hike the 3 mile trail to red. you will not be disappointed. on a side note, pike are good eating, just a bit on the bony side.

Default Thanks

Thank you guys... Can't wait to get out and start fishing

Okay you pike killing freaks, you have my interest. Any special things I need to do to my leader or fly to catch/land those devils,or just go get them? Also any cooking ideas? Don't keep much but salmon around here so cooking help would be nice. Thanks, I'll do my part.

I like to use a steel leader when pike fishing. You can get the bones out but it takes a little practice on the "Y" bone. Do a you tube search and you'll see several examples. As for eating, their great! I cut them into chunks and deep fry with beer batter then dip in a bowl of Franks hot sauce and melted butter. Can't go wrong.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

sikes

Quote Originally Posted by Daplumber View Post
    U must kill all pike. We just came from red shirt lake. fishing was great. We killed 30 in about 3 hours. the biggest ones were in the 20" range. use day glow green Vibrax, or fly. to get to red you need to go up the parks hwy to Nancy lake rec. drive to the end of road by south rolly lake. rent a canoe from tippy canoe located in south rolly camp ground. its a 32 dollar rental. then hike the 3 mile trail to red. you will not be disappointed. on a side note, pike are good eating, just a bit on the bony side.
    why kill them bro,.. you are dumb,.. theres no way to get rid of them and by killing them you only make the habitat better for more pike, you will never get rid of them bro,... so grow up

Quote Originally Posted by sikes View Post
    why kill them bro,.. you are dumb,.. theres no way to get rid of them and by killing them you only make the habitat better for more pike, you will never get rid of them bro,... so grow up
    Really? I hope you're not serious. They are an invasive species. The regs even say they are not allowed to be returned to the water alive so they have to be killed.

Killing them is just like anything. If you take the numbers away and kill the breeding stock the numbers will decline as will the size. You may not be able to completely eradicate them but you can get rid of a good amount.

Quote Originally Posted by sikes View Post
    Because the regulations say you must kill them "bro". Before you spout your holier than thou attitude, at least know what you are talking about.

so you kill them and throw them back or do you have to keep them?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

You can throw them back dead if you don't want to eat them or donate them, use them for fertilizer, bait chunks, etc.

Lol just messing btw...eat what u kill....

Sikes,
    You have your opinion and have made it known.
    What you may not have picked up on in the previous posts is the LAW/REG's state you must kill them. Period. No argument about that.
    Just to clarify....
    BK

My first recommendation for the OP and clearly others, read the regs. Don't take someone's comments here as gospel regarding where to go and what to use - might not be legit. Next thing you know your tossin hooks into a creek below some bridge and it's not even open to fishing but you were so stoked because you had the entire creek to yourself for 2 days.

Second, search. Several times a week someone throws down a picture of something he or she caught and a general area where they were.

You can even hit Sportsman's in Wasilla and read the fish wall for tips.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My experience in reading the tips on the SW walls are that they don't update them regularily. I remember reading month old and sometimes even older reports/tips on those boards in Wasilla. It's great they have the wall, but whats the point if they barely update them?

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    My first recommendation for the OP and clearly others, read the regs. Don't take someone's comments here as gospel regarding where to go and what to use - might not be legit. Next thing you know your tossin hooks into a creek below some bridge and it's not even open to fishing but you were so stoked because you had the entire creek to yourself for 2 days. .
    This is the one piece of advise you can take as gospel. Definitely check the regs and EOs because " I heard such and such on an online forum" doesnt hold any water with a judge. We are all responsible to verify that any advise is valid before acting on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast