Thread: Archangel Valley ?'s

Default Archangel Valley ?'s

Does anyone know where the narrow trail at the back or Archangel Valley leads. It heads uphill just past the hut. I followed it a little ways to the first bench but I had the dogs with me and it was a little to steep and rocky for them. Is it worth a little more exploration? I like it back there as it is generally less crowded than the other Hatchers pass destinations.

it goes wherever you take it to, lots of routes possible back there. The very small lane glacier is up there. There's a perfect granite slab up there that you can use as an ice cold waterslide on a hot day. Seems hardly any brown bears up there in recent years.

You can follow a series of ridges and connect to the snowbird glacier and come back down glacier creek valley to the reed lakes trail, meeting it in the area where it first crosses a bridge, (glacier creek). Depends on cloud ceilings if you don't know the route. Or you can connect more to the west with the upper Kash valley.

Crossing the upper Little Su and hiking to lonesome mine and up on Arkose ridge is another good trip that can be doable as the river drops this time of year. 5 miles up the goldmint leaves 95 percent of people behind.

Also with the willow side accessible over the summit now the semi-remote possibilities are near endless over there. Go up the back of baldy via one of the gulches sometime if you haven't. Really neat birds to watch up there. Get's some rain up there though if you're unlucky.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get a little more accustomed with "off trail" hiking here. I did lots in Oregon but I grew up there and was accustomed to the areas. How do I access Baldy? That sounds like a fun trek.

Does anyone have a gps trail from Upper Little Su across Arkose Ridge to Buffalo Mine Road area? That would be a great hike.