Thread: Kenai Strategy

Default Kenai Strategy

I am making plans to partake in my first non-guided, Non-motorized Monday(Targeting Kings). I am curious what everyones strategy is for Putins, and Takeouts, and what shuttle options are there? I am not asking for directions to your holes, just a little strategy for Putins & Take outs. I appreciate any help that is given.

Kirk

I've never done it, but most of the people I 've talked to about it put in at Centennial and take out at the Pillars.

Most will put in at Centennial and pull out either at Pillars or Eagle Rock. If you're looking for a shorter float, put in at Stewarts Landing and float to Eagle Rock. Pulling out at Pillars might get to be a real pain starting this coming Monday as the dipnet season opens Sunday. There's a lot of powerboats launching and hauling out there on Mondays...maybe not this first Monday, but the next two will be. Pillars can also be a little tricky when the water gets higher as there's a lot more current to deal with and if there's boats in the way, you might have trouble getting in. Eagle Rock charges a bit more, but it's a much easier haul out as you've got a big slow back channel to row into and no current in the launch lagoon.

If you put in at Centennial, just remember the EO restrictions that are in place right now until you get below the lower Slikok Creek marker.

Don't know of any shuttle services in the area, except for calling Alaska Cab. You can usually bum a ride from someone at the take out, but you might be waiting a while at times. Although if you're trying to bum a ride, you can sit on anchor fishing around Eagle Rock and wait to see someone heading in.

Wasn't there a shuttle called Wild Rides? I know they used to help with drift floats on the upper Kenai, maybe they work Soldotna as well, or could at least offer a solution.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Yeah, Wildmans in Cooper Landing will run run shuttles up there. I've just never heard of a shuttle service working the lower Kenai. Have seen the cabs picking up plenty of folks at Eagle Rock though.

I saw a guy a few years ago on a big inertube float by Im not shure what his strategy was he did have a pole in one hand and a bottel of jack in the other CR***Y SOB

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    I saw a guy a few years ago on a big inertube float by Im not shure what his strategy was he did have a pole in one hand and a bottel of jack in the other CR***Y SOB
    Hey now thats a good day right there. Fishing and drinking go hand in hand. If youre taking it that seriously you are doing it wrong. The only time fishing should be that serious is if that is your only means of eating.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thank you for all the tips. If any heard how Todays (mon.) king fishing was please let me know