Thread: 3 Star SPort Jet Max RPMs

Default 3 Star SPort Jet Max RPMs

Hey guyz, what are you seeing for max RPMs outta your 3 STAR power heads?

I just (2 months ago) repowered my Sportjon with a 2011 Sportjet. I currently have about 10 hours on the new powerhead and my max RPM is 5400. I was told that 5600 would be the max once it was broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I just (2 months ago) repowered my Sportjon with a 2011 Sportjet. I currently have about 10 hours on the new powerhead and my max RPM is 5400. I was told that 5600 would be the max once it was broke in.
    AK Troutbum
    I have around 15 hours on my new (boat) Optimax 200, and the range was 5450 but after a slight mod to the muffler its now 5580-5650. I'll be looking again (to verify) this Saturday (9th) for the WOT range.

The book says (pg 28) it's 5150-5650 as being the normal range for WOT for our motor.

Side note: Keep an eye on the engine-mounted oil reservoir tank (little oil tank on the motor), it seems the little screw plug will come loose and you will have an oily mess to deal with; I just had it happen to me, and found the oil "O" ring is to big for the plug and too small in thickness. The plug was either over tighten but someone, just don't know who's--- OR--- the other reasons could be the improper "O" ring or the difference between the hard plastic plug vs. the soft plastic oil reservoir tank. It will easily go past the tight spot to "skipped a tread" spot, which will cause a loose plug and hence a big mess in the hull of the boat. I talked the service rep at a local boat shop and they just had one come in the for the exact same reason, so watch for it, JMHO

I have the 200 Opti with the sport jet, 43 hours on it and run WOT @ 5350ish....cruises about 41 pmh...in 3 inches of water YEZR!!!!...."fishon":

Keep in mind that even slight variances in impeller condition will have a noticeable affect on WOT RPM's
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

FWIW, '08 SportJon, 150 hrs, Newly rebuilt Impeller and liner with tight clearances, no impeller damage yet (we've had lots of high water this summer and little to no skinny running unless you go looking for it) WOT 5600+/_, 17.6 GPH on the Smartcraft.