Thread: Trail river or snow river this weekend?

Default Trail river or snow river this weekend?

My wife and I are taking our truck camper and 16' 40hp jet boat out this weekend, with the intention of running the Trail and/or Snow river. Would anyone like to come do some exploring, camping, and b.s.ing around a camp fire?

How far up the Snow River can a boat go........?

I thought snow river was closed to motorized boats? Correct me if I am wrong.

I don't own a boat, but I have always wanted to spend a month exploring the headwaters.

I've never heard that the snow was closed to boats, but that means nothing.

I also just realized I may not be able to run Trail River either, whole two stroke/Kenai drainage thing.

I've never been up either river in the summer, but in the winter the South Fork looks like you should be able to take a small boat up quite a ways. Its awefully flat until aproximately 1/4 mile from this point. N60 11.668 W149 11.291

According to this DNR link, I think both Trail and Snow are an option for power boats, however I think you might be right about the 2-stroke thing. The Snow river may be included in the Kenai River special management area but unfortunately I have never read the rules. It says all boats are welcome in Trail Lake and I can only assume that includes the river. There is a phone # listed for that area. Let us know how it turns out.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/...ctions2009.pdf

Thank you JetPow. There is something wrong with my internet, for some reason I can't get on any .gov websites, facebook, and a few other websites. I'll try making some calls tomorrow, but the last calls I made to the Seward Ranger District were left unanswered.

I got my computer fixed last night and am unable to find anything that indicates the trail lake and trail river are included in the KRSMA so I'm going to go for it. The Snow river is out unless I can find a launch up stream of Kenai lake as that would be KRSMA water between the launch and the outlet of the river.

I ran up the snow 3yrs ago with a buddy in his 18' flatbottom with 90yamaha jet. It gets real windy and there aren't alot of wide areas to turn around when coming around a bend and there's a sweeper or logjam. If the water is up, the channels aren't too hard to read and its typically runnable. It's very braided and can be confusing at times when on step and a decision must be made quickly. It gets very shallow after the 2nd mile and you best not be lollygaggin'... Pay attention or rocks (and some dandies too) will give ya the can opener treatment. We hit bottom alot and made some mistakes, but managed to get quite aways up. Had to back out of it and rerturn though. Not much fun. Tears boats up. Doubtful on a retrurn trip anytime soon, at least not in my boat anyways. Good luck if you go.

We did it, sorta, (the Snow River that is) but had a pretty bad accident. At one point I lost the ability to shift the jet into forward, something must have been stuck in the reverse bucket linkage. Ended up getting pushed under a sweeper. We tried to hold it, but soon we started to take water over the transom. I ducked under the tree as we went under but my buddy wasn't so fortunate. He took a very sudden and very cold bath. The boat survived just fine, didn't even bust up the cowling. We ended up with some road rash and some nasty bruises, but are happy to have lived through it and not been badly injured. I can't say I could recommend it. The river is very braided, rocky, and full of hazards. Not to mention VERY fast. Going up was bad, coming back down was one of the most intense things I've ever done in a boat. My hull will never be the same.

Talking

Hello there, my dad and I run Trail river last year with water level at 3.8 ft. The Hydrologic Prediction for this weekend is around 6.8 ft. for Trail lakes area. The water is usually low at the first railroad tressel and you have to navigate through the cut off old tressel supports because they were cut off at water level. I guess you can just plan on hitting one or more of them going upriver. Then you will know where they are coming down river. River opens up to mud flats looking area after the first railroad bridge. We stayed to the right one year and the left the next. Hip boots or chest waders a must. We just walk the river to find a good channel. Both channels were good, but we only one channel choice each year. We went up river about 2 miles past the third railroad tressel. Lots of skinny water, lots of sharp turns a real blast. Would love to do it again but not this weekend. I am at work right now. This was the last jet boat trip before my DAD past away In February of this year.
    If you want more info just ask. I will tell you what I know.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER