Thread: Outboard tilt

Default Outboard tilt

So i bought my first outboard motor from Marita Sea and Ski, a used 2008 Tohatsu 20hp four stroke(MFS 20C) and i have a question about the tilt feature. Its been bothering me ever since I got the motor stationed on the motor stand. Is the motor not able to tilt upwards while on the stand? i pushed the release lever down like the owner's manual says to do but when i go to lift the motor up, its not budging at all. am i doing something wrong here? i can post a few pictures when i get off work today to give you guys a more visual view of the motor and stand.

Is the motor on the boat or on a storage stand? You need to have a battery hooked up to the motor if it is a power trim. If it is a manual tilt the you should be able to flip the lever and lift the motor manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Is the motor on the boat or on a storage stand? You need to have a battery hooked up to the motor if it is a power trim. If it is a manual tilt the you should be able to flip the lever and lift the motor manually.
    its a manual tilt model. I have it mounted on a dolly cart. it feels like something else is keeping it from moving up freely when i try and tilt it. The release lever is fully down to where its suppose to be..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    its a manual tilt model. I have it on a motor dolly cart. it feels like something else is keeping it from moving up freely when i try and tilt it. The release lever is fully down to where its suppose to be..
    Does it have a gas assist cylinder? If so, it could be that the manual actuator isn't completely engaging/dis-engaging. I had that happen on a Johnson several years back. The problem was a worn cable sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Does it have a gas assist cylinder? If so, it could be that the manual actuator isn't completely engaging/dis-engaging. I had that happen on a Johnson several years back. The problem was a worn cable sheath.
    no cylinders identified from what i could tell. the owners manual doesnt mention anything about it either. it just says to "push lever down until it stops. then lift motor at the cowl handle until it clocks and locks in place"

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

no cylinders identified from what i could tell. the owners manual doesnt mention anything about it either. it just says to "push lever down until it stops. then lift motor at the cowl handle until it clocks and locks in place"

motor1.jpgmotor2.jpg
    Roger that. Page 15 references an optional gas assist cylinder. If your motor has one, it would be located right near the lever and will look like an ordinary hydraulic cylinder. If this isn't the case, it sounds like the lever isn't disengaging the lock mechanism properly. The lock mechanism should be in the area of the trim adjustment pin. See if you can disengage it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Roger that. Page 15 references an optional gas assist cylinder. If your motor has one, it would be located right near the lever and will look like an ordinary hydraulic cylinder. If this isn't the case, it sounds like the lever isn't disengaging the lock mechanism properly. The lock mechanism should be in the area of the trim adjustment pin. See if you can disengage it manually.
    thats what i was thinking to about the lever not disengaging all the way even though the lever is fully in the down position. I have to take a look at it some more. Also, there is a ground wire coming out from the lower shaft that doesnt look like it belongs there. i'll let you guys determine that once i get some photos up.

thats what i was thinking to about the lever not disengaging all the way even though the lever is fully in the down position. I have to take a look at it some more. Also, there is a ground wire coming out from the lower shaft that doesnt look like it belongs there. i'll let you guys determine that once i get some photos up.
    Roger that. My guess is that it'll be a fairly simple fix.

after taking another look at what was the problem, i was able to determine that the lock nuts shown in the picture was way over tightened.
    IMG_0009.jpg

i took the motor off the stand, losen the right lock nut, wiggled the bracket a bit, and presto! it tilts! i added a little grease to the tilt cannal and the washers up top to make sure it has good lube to move back and forth without any more issues.