Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Skipping

Default Water Skipping

Anyone do this? I don't mean skipping across a creek or an open lead, I'm talking all the way across a small lake. Got an old sled and thinking about playing around some sunny weekend.

Looking for tips on successfully making it across and what to do to get it running again if you don't!

Pretty simple. Use common sense like wearing a life jacket and something you can swim in. Take off the seat as it will save weight, but leave the cowling because you will need it to keep water off the clutches. We like to tie a bouy or empty sealed gas can with a length of rop tied to it (longer than the deepest depth you will encounter) on the back of the sled. As the sled sinks, pull it loose so it can aid in recovery. Stand up, balance like you would in powder and go for it. Horsepower is king, but I have skipped across a small lake on a ZR440 short track with a 2" paddle and I'm a heavy weight.

To get the machine going is a pretty simple affair. You will have to drain the water out of pretty much everything. If it's a short soak you can usually just get away with draining the float bowls on the carbs, pull the pipe and silencer and dump out the water, pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over to remove the water, replace the plugs and start.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Couple summers ago I saw a guy running a sled up the middle of the knik river. I don't know how far he made it but he started before I could see him and continued out of sight till the motor noise finally faded in the distance.

My buddy skipped his IQ race sled from the mouth of the deshka and went a few miles at least. There's video somewhere...

Please wear a PFD if you do this - this activity causes fatalities every year when the machine stalls out in the water and the person can't make it back to shore.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

There is a guy that is on Wasilla lake every year he goes round and round. Had a guy looking for his sled for many days because he didn't have the float attached to mark the spot same lake.

Thanks for the tips AKDoug. I'm going to try it with a 500 RMK and my friend on a 583 Summit. Might be a couple weeks but I'll post on how it goes. I think our biggest problem will be finding a good spot to enter and exit the water. Man, I miss winter.

500 RMK should be just fine. I know a guy that has towed a water skier in the Talkeetna River a few years ago with an 800 1M Arctic Cat. The number one sinker of sleds is wet clutches. Keep them dry and you can go forever...or until you run out of water or gas
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Talking We want to whatch!

Post where and when!
    We need video and /pics!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    My buddy skipped his IQ race sled from the mouth of the deshka and went a few miles at least. There's video somewhere...
    They headed down to the Deshka yesterday to do it again.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    They headed down to the Deshka yesterday to do it again.
    What about the no wake zone????????

Trail Boss,

Where is going to be in the beaver pond behind my cabin near Trapper Creek. When depends on when me and my cabin neighbor are out at the same time and the weather is warm enough to want to get wet. We both keep our older sleds out there and so it will happen when it happens. He says since it was his idea that I should go first. I'm thinking a coin toss.

We will definitely take video.

Rick

Position your feet farther back on the running boards then you would normally while riding snow.
    I prefer to tie off the rope/bouy to the front end so when you drag it out of the water the skis are not going to catch on anything. Turning is more about balance and keep your skis out of the water.
    Otherwise, hit it and get some video. Back in the 90's they had water skipping contests at the Klondike on Big Lake put on by Bert.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    What about the no wake zone????????
    I'm pretty sure its a bit past there...

He wore a life jacket last year and had spotters and whatnot...

like BK said they use to have drag races on Big Lake well not on the lake they would start on the beach and shot across to the outher side the main event was a 2 lap circle race if i recall Bert had a special boat made for recovery of the ones that did make it we use to take the boat up and sit out on the lake and take it all in

like BK said they use to have drag races on Big Lake well not on the lake they would start on the beach and shot across to the outher side the main event was a 2 lap circle race if i recall Bert had a special boat made for recovery of the ones that did make it we use to take the boat up and sit out on the lake and take it all in

If you must destroy your sled this way and find yourself over by the knik please stay on the Jim creek side.........or at least out of the "family camping area". One of my neighbors was kind enough to dig a swiming hole for the kids many years ago, drives me nutz to see them forced out by a water skipper!(Yes Rick I know you dont have plans for this area, my post is directed at others)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

i've watched people do it here most of the summer. some things i've seen: remove all unecessary weight like the seat you'll be standing up anyhow. some use pretty wide skis or skins for a little more surface area. make your belt housing (if its seperated from the engine housing) as waterproof as you can, thats usually why they sink. use only enough gas in your tank to be safe. i've seen many people do it but hardly any sink. hopefully your machine is carbed at least if it sinks your can remove the plugs and the drain plug in the bottom of the engine case and turn it over a few times. drain the carb bowl and hopefully she starts up. the buoy is definately a good idea at least if its deep you might get it back. good luck

Default What a blast!

Last weekend we made our attempts to cross the pond behind our cabin with our sleds. I rode a 2000 RMK 500, and my friend rode his 97 Summit 583. We both made it across, although my friend let off the throttle too soon and the back half of his sled stayed in the water.

I hit the water going to slow and almost sank right from the start. Because of that it started porpoising really bad at first but then finally came up on step. Unfortunately, as soon as I felt I was going to stay up, I had to start turning to line up with the only suitable landing spot. My inside ski hit the water again and I was back to bouncing all over the place. I managed to stay with it though and came sliding onto shore right where I wanted.

Below are some photos. They aren't the best quality because they are frames taken from video. I'll post a link to a video of the event but I have to edit it into something watchable first. I may be a while before I get around to that.

RickSkip6.jpg RickSkip3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast